Handguard hardware always coming loose from handlebar ends.

Hello Thumpers,

Here's a little of my background: I ride 65% fire-roads/mellow single track and 35% in the city, also I am 5'9". I have a pair of handguards (given to me, not sure of brand) on my 2004 DR-Z400S that always come loose from the stock handlebar ends. They are nice guards and are sturdy where they mount towards the center of the bar but the ends I'm constantly f'ing with. It was so annoying that I just took them off until I find a fool proof solution.

I have been looking at highwaydirtbikes.com handguards that are tapped and threaded at the bar ends and mount to the main handlebar clamp in the center. It seems like the most solid setup out there, but you pay the price.

The thing is, I would need to upgrade to an aluminum bar to be able to tap into, according to HWDB. If I did that I would probably go with 1 1/8" bars which means I would need a riser adapter for the new clamp diameter. I am trying to keep this on the cheap because I have straight handlebars and already have decent handguards.

If I went the HWDB handguard route, that means: New aluminum 1/ 1/8" bars (my preference), 1 1/8" riser adapters for handle bar clamps and the whole Highway Dirtbike Ultimate Handguard setup which probably puts me close to $400 altogether to do this. I could get 7/8" handlebars in aluminum which would eliminate the need of risers/adaptors for 1 1/8" bars and save about $50. 

Is there an easier/cheaper route to securing my handguards to the ends of my stock bars to make them bombproof? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks to all the motorheads.

I bought a set of the cheap ones,$17 from ebay, bar end mounting was a joke, consisted of a expanding plug and a short piece of vinyl tubing for sleeves but no spacer which would have made the user cut the levers or buy shorty's.

I measured the bar ID and the expanding plugs OD and made Aluminum sleeves to fit then turned bars ends to space the guards out past the lever ends and used a longer bolt.

Haven't crashed with this setup but the bike did get knocked over in the shop and the guard didn't move.

N0o3byG.jpg

0otEDYA.jpg

G63ufWl.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Thumpers,

Here's a little of my background: I ride 65% fire-roads/mellow single track and 35% in the city, also I am 5'9". I have a pair of handguards (given to me, not sure of brand) on my 2004 DR-Z400S that always come loose from the stock handlebar ends. They are nice guards and are sturdy where they mount towards the center of the bar but the ends I'm constantly f'ing with. It was so annoying that I just took them off until I find a fool proof solution.

I have been looking at highwaydirtbikes.com handguards that are tapped and threaded at the bar ends and mount to the main handlebar clamp in the center. It seems like the most solid setup out there, but you pay the price.

The thing is, I would need to upgrade to an aluminum bar to be able to tap into, according to HWDB. If I did that I would probably go with 1 1/8" bars which means I would need a riser adapter for the new clamp diameter. I am trying to keep this on the cheap because I have straight handlebars and already have decent handguards.

If I went the HWDB handguard route, that means: New aluminum 1/ 1/8" bars (my preference), 1 1/8" riser adapters for handle bar clamps and the whole Highway Dirtbike Ultimate Handguard setup which probably puts me close to $400 altogether to do this. I could get 7/8" handlebars in aluminum which would eliminate the need of risers/adaptors for 1 1/8" bars and save about $50. 

Is there an easier/cheaper route to securing my handguards to the ends of my stock bars to make them bombproof? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks to all the motorheads.

blue loctite. 

setup the inner bar mounts first to make sure everything is aligned properly, then loctite the bar end pieces. once the bar ends are tightened (with loctite, doh!), THEN do the inner clamps and brackets with loctite. give it 12-14 hours to cure. 

the only way mine come loose is if i deform the metal around the bolt head in a crash. which is understandable. on the street, my clamps don't come loose. 

• Like 1

The screws are not coming loose, its the whole assembly at the bar ends. Is there a better set up to make it rock solid on the end other than those stupid anchors that spread out when you tighten down? 

I just looked at the photos above and it appears that I am missing the inner sleeve that fills the void inside the bars when the anchor spreads. It's my first set of handguards and they were given to me. Now I know why, they were missing that piece so I could never get them tight. Doy. 

Kioti, I have the same guards as you. Where did you get the spacer or was whole mounting system on the end included?

Edited by Skidder43

I just looked at the photos above and it appears that I am missing the inner sleeve that fills the void inside the bars when the anchor spreads.

Kioti, I have the same guards as you. Where did you get the spacer or was whole mounting system on the end included?

As I said in my first post all that was included was the piece of clear plastic hose which I knew wasn't going to work worth a crap as a sleeve/spacer.

I made the sleeves and the bar end spacers,the supplied expanders have a keyway type boss on the end to locate in the grip end of the guard to keep them from rotating so I milled the same male boss and female keyway to match on the bar end spacers I made.

The oem bars have a .730 ID and the shoulder on the expanding sleeve measured .530 so I turned a piece of .750 Aluminum round to .730 then drilled the hole 17/32" - .533 which is more than close enough for this purpose.Last step was cutting the slots in the sleeves, I did that with a hacksaw.

I just took one off the bike for better pics.

WlUxsJT.jpg

4ZvAuae.jpg

• Like 1