klx450 fork revalve question

Hello,

I am a 165lb B woods racer, and I have been fighting my woods valved 04 kx250 2 stroke forks for a while. Recently I crashed and destroyed them so I bought some klx450 forks hoping they would help. I do notice they are smoother than the kx250 forks I had, but I want plusher if possible.

My brother has a 2004 KTM200EXC and has the forks super soft and plush, and I love those, but my suspension guy said there is no way I could get my KYBs to mimic the WP suspension. Just the other day I rode a 2004 KDX200, and once again I love how plush the front forks are. I could hit rocks 4th gear pinned on it, and it just soaked up the rough stuff. I was wondering, do you guys know if it is possible to set up the KLX450 forks to be close to as plush as a KTM200 or KDX200? I don't know if they have progressive rate forks spring so I can have plush for the first 4 to 6 inches then have it get stiffer as I go down the stroke, or if thats something that could be done with a good revolving?

Any guidance would be nice. I have had really good luck with C-Cycle (Connecticut Suspension Company) on almost all my previous bikes, and he set up my brothers KTM200, so I know he can put together a really nice woods package. My rear shock is also absolutely perfect from him, but I just want some pointers for the front so I can go to him with better understanding of what I really need.

Thanks,

Rob

What forks? Closed chamber KYBs?  No reason you shouldn't be able to get those forks to work as good or better than the KTM.

Generally I don't think of KDX forks of being good bombing into anything in 4th gear. 🤣

All forks have their own characteristics, but in my opinion any modern fork can be made to work quite well, it's just about figuring out what particular quirks the forks have.  I question a guy who says they can't work well...

Stock EXC valving tends to be quite soft.  Probably even more so on the older open chamber forks.  I don't know the stock KLX valving, but I am sure it's a lot stiffer.

The KLX forks, if they are the twin chamber KYBs (don't really know my KLXs), are one of the best forks ever made to date.  They can be setup to work REALLY well for offroad.

Honestly, I'd question a tuner who thought he couldn't get SSS/AOSS forks to work as well as 2004 open chamber WPs.  The only think the old OC forks have going for them is low stiction (due to no ICS mechanism, etc).  Don't get me wrong, you can make older OC forks work well (I like the OC forks on both of my bikes quite a bit, after some work), but the new stuff is superior in nearly every way.

I wouldn't run progressive fork springs unless you really want to, I don't think that's a big benefit, you can control progression with oil volume.

I'm not sure what you should tell the guy that you didn't already say.  "I want these to feel like the KTM 200 you did for my brother" seems sufficient.

What forks? Closed chamber KYBs?  No reason you shouldn't be able to get those forks to work as good or better than the KTM.

Generally I don't think of KDX forks of being good bombing into anything in 4th gear. 🤣

All forks have their own characteristics, but in my opinion any modern fork can be made to work quite well, it's just about figuring out what particular quirks the forks have.  I question a guy who says they can't work well...

I didn't think KDX forks would be able to take the beating I gave them either, but they rode like a 1985 cadillac. 

Stock EXC valving tends to be quite soft.  Probably even more so on the older open chamber forks.  I don't know the stock KLX valving, but I am sure it's a lot stiffer.

The KLX forks, if they are the twin chamber KYBs (don't really know my KLXs), are one of the best forks ever made to date.  They can be setup to work REALLY well for offroad.

Honestly, I'd question a tuner who thought he couldn't get SSS/AOSS forks to work as well as 2004 open chamber WPs.  The only think the old OC forks have going for them is low stiction (due to no ICS mechanism, etc).  Don't get me wrong, you can make older OC forks work well (I like the OC forks on both of my bikes quite a bit, after some work), but the new stuff is superior in nearly every way.

I wouldn't run progressive fork springs unless you really want to, I don't think that's a big benefit, you can control progression with oil volume.

I'm not sure what you should tell the guy that you didn't already say.  "I want these to feel like the KTM 200 you did for my brother" seems sufficient.

Yes these forks are the KYB AOSS forks similar to a kx450f.

Does the Race Tech Suspension Bible go into how to valve forks, and explain why you would want different thinkness/ width shims in the different spots? I like taking things apart, and I would love to learn how suspension really works, and to be able to valve this myself, and understand how oil height affects the ride, but I also feel like $200 to $250 isn't a bad price to pay someone to service the forks and do a complete revolve, especially if they know the forks inside and out. I am not afraid to send the forks to another company to get them done, but I really like how this guy is in my town, and every bike other than this he has done an awesome job on.

The other question I have is I have a 2004 KX250 2 stroke, with 2007 Tag bottom triple clamps, and 08 KX450f upper clamps. Could this affect my rake in a negative way? I was running a stock clamp setup until I got a really good deal on the Tag clamps, then when I picked up the KLX450 forks I needed the KX450f clamps to pinch the top of the fork legs. I just don't know if I'm fighting the front end because the geometry is messed up too!

Anyways, thanks for the help so far, and I can't wait to get these forks done this winter and do some good woods riding with my new forks!

Rob 

The RaceTech suspension bible will probably help you get started, yes.  FYI I wouldn't bother purchasing gold valves for those forks.

FYI, there is a whole thread on here about setting those forks up for offroad use: https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1107104-the-kyb-sss-fork-offroad-revalve/

Lots of tuners should be able to do a good job with those forks for your riding (NETRA?), but I don't have personal experience with guys in your area.  Factory Connection certainly does a lot of YZ offroad setups so they ought to know and are HQ'd in NH.  Your local guy might do a good job too, but he didn't exactly sell it.

Triple clamps rarely effect rake.  They do sometimes change offset.  However, you need to buy a pair of clamps to change the offset, so if you just changed the top clamp it definitely would not be different.