General Xr200r newbie questions (spark arrestor, airbox, etc)

Hello,

My xr has been smoking white smoke pretty bad. The oil in it is very black so I assume that is the cause. I went ahead and checked the air filter which looks quite rough. The problem is that once I removed the seat I can't figure out how to get the air filter out, since it is surrounded in plastics, without removing everything within three feet of it. Any help?

Also, in order to ride in national parks I need a spark arrestor which my bike does not have. Does anyone know of any inserts or other arrestors that I can put in a stock muffler? Thanks!

If its the latest xr200 they made 1986 to 2002 ifirc, the air filter can be changed by taking off the left hand rear number plate/side plate. The seat does not need to come off.

If its the original silencer it has a spark arrestor built in that you cannot see. Taking the insert out of it does not effect the spark arrestor

If the oils black replace it. Blowing smoke is a sign that it needs rings or a whole top end.

Edited by Jx3

If its the latest xr200 they made 1992 to 2002 ifirc, the air filter can be changed by taking off the left hand rear number plate/side plate. The seat does not need to come off.

If its the original silencer it has a spark arrestor built in that you cannot see. Taking the insert out of it does not effect the spark arrestor

If the oils black replace it. Blowing smoke is a sign that it needs rings or a whole top end.

86-02 used the same air box and filter, same a 84-85 XR200R,

The original silencer  will have stamped spark arrester certification on the aft can. 

Similar to this pic minus the screw; "HM" means Honda; "KA2" is the product code for a 81-83 XR200R; yours should have "KT0", the product code for 86-02 XR200R.

XR200R model.JPG

And definitely change the oil, takes 1 quart.

Edited by Chuck.

Thanks, it is a 2001. I sure hope I don't need a new top end it was just rebuilt right after I got it because the timing chain had not been adjusted prior to my ownership as a result the engine blew :/. Thanks for the info on the side plate. I was wondering why it was so hard to get to with the seat off.

Thanks again!

if it is cold out it will smoke a little at first regardless