Need help!

Would it be worth it to buy a 1998 kdx with everything but engine for $100 replace motor and resell for profit? How much would an engine cost me and what year engine will fit the frame? I know $100 is a smokin deal but for profit im not sure.

It isn't easy finding a complete KDX engine. You may pay $500+ if you can find one.

If the roller isn't completely roached out, you won't have a problem getting your $100 back if you can't find an engine. If it has the factory kickstand, you could get most of your money back from just that.

If there is a KDX without a motor, good chances that the owner used it on a hybrid. If that is the case, there might be a few other KDX parts missing. That little stuff adds up faster than you think.

Edited by H-B-R

The guys son bought it and used the engine for something else, i know my way around most bikes its all there not sure about the kickstand. If i decide to keep it and i cant find the right engine. What other engines would fit the frame?

With money and time, you could probably get several different engines to fit. But I doubt that your new combination would be appealing to most people. The KDX chasis is known for being a decent woods bike (with an especially crappy front end). If you stuck a yz125 engine in there, woods guys and mx guys would have no interest in the thing.

Only the KDX engine will drop right in with no modifications.

Also how do i find out if the kickstand is factory and what are they worth?

It bolts to the factory holes on the swing arm. Google will give you a picture.

You could check eBay, but guys on kdxrider are always looking for them.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1418071212.802421.jpg

This is the bike thanks for the help guys sorry im all over the place trying to figure out what to do with it. Its a little beat up would need paint. But im leaning towards just keeping and building it. Maybe swap the front end out. But my main concern is the engine. I wish i knew what the frame its self was worth and all the parts so i know if i should just sell it and get a mx bike that would be easier to find parts for.

This is just my experience, but I have wound up with three KDX rollers and couldn't sell the frames, forks or swing arms of any of them. I tried giving them away but no takers.

If you want a kx engine in there, then it is going to take some work. Again, I doubt anyone is going to want an MX engine in a KDX frame.

It isn't that the H series parts are hard to find, it is just difficult to find a running engine by itself. If you check eBay, lots of parts to build an engine, but that isn't a cheap way to do it.

If you are just looking to make some money, buy it for $100 and part it out right away. That looks like the OEM kickstand, but I am not 100 % on that based on the picture.

If you want a woods bike for yourself, buy it and patiently wait for a complete engine (running or non running) and build yourself a nice bike.

Edited by H-B-R