Dirt bike oil?

Ok so for Christmas I'm buying the whole family dirt bikes... When I get them I'm going to change the oil in all bikes. Can anyone recommend a good dirt bike oil? Can I get a reliable oil at Walmart? It will be one yamaha 250 one yamaha 125 and a Chinese automatic 50cc for the 6 year old if make an cc makes any difference. Thanks!

Lots of opinions, you did not state if they are 4 stroke or 2. so I will answer both.

4 stroke - Walmart. I use shell rotella in my quad and all my bikes.  I change the oil when it turns dark , depending on conditions this can be 5-15 hrs. Because of my frequent changes I dont feel synthetic or high dollar oem oils are necessary.

2 stroke oil cannot be purchased at Walmart, I get Motul 700 4 liter size from amazon for 52 bucks...costs 25 bucks per liter at the local Cycleger store.

Rocky Mountain ATV (online) is also a good place to start when you are looking for anything

here are the links to everything in my motorcycle bookmarks folder

Motorcycle Shopping

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC Dirt Bike Parts & Motocross Gear |

Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Apparel, Parts and Accessories

MotoSport

Motorcycle Superstore

BTO Sports

MotocrossGiant

Pit Posse

CRF's Only - Your source for Honda CRF information, performance parts, and accessories

MOTOWORLDRACING.COM EL CAJON, CA 1 (888) 929-9111

Welcome to Worldwide Powersports -

Extreme Supply

Motocross & ATV Gear - RevZilla

Chaparral Motorsports

Dennis Kirk Inc Chrome Addiction Motocross Gear RidersDiscount.com

Helmet City

MOTORCYCLECLOSEOUTS.COM

Service Honda Home of the CR500AF 500AF 500AFX Junior-X - Honda Motorcycle Parts

GOFASTERS gasserparts.com

Shop For Mens - Motocross Apparel and Parts, Shop For Mens at Bob's Cycle Motorcycle Radiators | Motorcycle Radiators Repairs | Motorcycle Radiators OEM Parts, Hoses and Radiator Caps | Myler's Radiators

@ Powersport Junkie, You'll Find the Lowest Price Guaranteed on Dirt Bike Parts, OEM Dirt Bike Parts, ATV parts, UTV parts, Harley Parts, Cruiser Parts, Dirt Bikes in Las Vegas

United Distributing LLC Motorcycle Closeouts

Bearing Connections

MAINT

Sudco International - Carburetors and Induction page 2 Jetting Full Gear Ratio Chart (pdf) - JT Sprockets Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power back bleed brakes

TORQUE TOOLS AND TORQUE PRINCIPLES AND PROCEDURES -cont

GasGas Parts Crossover

Chain Wear

Look for the Products that Carry the API Quality Marks

Gear Ratio Chart | ProTaper

Sprocket Calculator - the easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator

Motorcycle Tire School

How to Compression Test a 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke Dirt Bike's Engine

carbs101.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Coolant Mix and Overheating

ThumperFaq: 4-Stroke Oil

Baja NO PINCH Tire Tool

ThumperTalk - My Account Skull Creek - Private - Texas Offroad Network Forums

TWT Forums - Powered by vBulletin

…because it's a bad ass plan Trail Riders of Houston

ThumperTalk Trivia Challenge - Daily Trivia Game

VTR 1000F parts and accessories undertail rear hugger frame protectors

Tire Changing Stands SpudBilt > Home

Cinchitdown.com | Products

ktm-parts.com: GasGas Electric Start Conversion Kit

CRF250X Introduction

TPWD: Where to Buy a Texas OHV Decal - Off Highway Vehicle Program

Zac Speed Exotec RP-3 Protectors

Homemade Dirt bike stuff! - ThumperTalk - Page 5

Edited by Jakeblues
  • Like 1

You will find a opinion supporting just about anything on here. Let me share mine. Two strokes do not pump oil up to the top end so it is recommended to run 80 w gear oil. The oil you mix in the fuel lubes the top end. Four strokes do pump the oil up so it is recommended to run a lighter oil 10-40w or something like that. I do not have a strong enough opinion about any oil to recommend it over the others but I run either rotella or golden spectro.

You will find a opinion supporting just about anything on here. Let me share mine. Two strokes do not pump oil up to the top end so it is recommended to run 80 w gear oil. The oil you mix in the fuel lubes the top end. Four strokes do pump the oil up so it is recommended to run a lighter oil 10-40w or something like that. I do not have a strong enough opinion about any oil to recommend it over the others but I run either rotella or golden spectro.

In actuality they are about the exact same weight. Just a different grading scale. Kinda like saying 2.54 cm is longer than 1 inch because the numbers are higher.

In actuality they are about the exact same weight. Just a different grading scale. Kinda like saying 2.54 cm is longer than 1 inch because the numbers are higher.

ok let's agree the w stands for something. To the op. You will likely find if you open the manual to the bikes you purchase the four strokes will call for a oil that has a 10-40W "rating" or there about and the two stroke will probably call for a "rating" of oil near 80w. By the way most people that are not rocket scientist refer to the w as weight even though the oils actually weight the same. Viscosity is the true meaning of those "ratings".

Happy now Bill I have not lead this person to believe a quart of oil weighs different amounts based on viscosity. You have saved him from my original misleading post.

Edited by motojunkiedan

Look, no offense to anybody and thank you very much to the helpful responses ive received, and to the rest of you, no I do not have a great understanding of dirt bike motors so let's try and keep this forum knowledgeable and helpful for those who come here to learn and understand things. Now, let's start off with the automatic 50cc that will be ridden by a 6 year old. It's a little Chinese ssr, and the instruction manual is completely useless (those who have bought these bikes probably understand). It does not tell me anything as far as oil to mix with gas or any other oil that the bike would take such as gear oil or whatever it may take. The next bike is a 04' yamaha wr125 4 stroke, it will be ridden by a 28 year old mother with zero riding experience and she will doubtfully ever push the bike very hard. The next bike will be a 03' yamaha wr250 4 stroke, this will be my bike. I haven't ridden dirt bikes in 8-10 years however I've ridden Harleys almost daily ever since. I have plenty of riding experience and will more often than not try and find out what my bike can do. Hopes this info helps the understanding and helpful folks out there. Thanks!