Winter Physical Conditioning?

Look to see if there's a Fitness 19 in your area. I paid $99 start up fee and $9 a month with no help from insurance. Its $19 a month if you do $0 enrollment. The one I went to was over twice the size of the snap fitness around. Unfortunately my location just shut down.

Look to see if there's a Fitness 19 in your area. I paid $99 start up fee and $9 a month with no help from insurance. Its $19 a month if you do $0 enrollment. The one I went to was over twice the size of the snap fitness around. Unfortunately my location just shut down.

Thanks, I'll check on it.

Treesmacker

How long do you usually go on those? My issue was always I had to spend a lot of time on it to get what I perceived to be a benefit.

Although I was much younger then also :-)

It all depends how hard I want to work, the faster you go the more resistance increases.

Last winter I did a Tabata inverval similar to this and it sure helped for Enduro's. it really kicks your butt.

And these Airdyne's are built like a tank so even if it's older it's probably still solid.

Got a 100 seconds try this!

• Like 1

It all depends how hard I want to work, the faster you go the more resistance increases.

Last winter I did a Tabata inverval similar to this and it sure helped for Enduro's. it really kicks your butt.

And these Airdyne's are built like a tank so even if it's older it's probably still solid.

Got a 100 seconds try this!

Hey Treesmacker...  Did you do any cardio base training before you did the Tabata?  Just curious... 

I did something like that, 'cept it was a regular spin bike...  After I was done with my 6 weeks of cardio base, I dropped my time down to an hour a day on the spin bike, but instead of low heart rate the whole time...  I started with a 10 minute warm up, low heart rate (55% to 65% of max), followed by 30 seconds as hard as I could go, then another 10 minutes slow, followed by another 30 seconds hard...  kept going that way for the hour. 

Every week, I increased the 30 second part, and towards the end, right before the season started, I was at 2 minutes "all out". 

Outlined my "routine" to Eddie C, and he said he liked it...  Only thing he would change is to make the 2 minutes "all out" longer.  Don't remember how long he said he would go maxed out...  I'll have to see if I can find it.

Like I said before, started out the year feeling like a teenager.  Problem was, second race in, I tipped over and broke my leg...  Haven't really exercised since.  Glad this thread got started, its got me re-introduced to my exercise room! :-)

edit:  PS..  Do any of you guys use a smart phone to reply on here?  Don't think I'll ever try that again!  Had to give up and use the computer!

Edited by 98cr250r

Hey Treesmacker...  Did you do any cardio base training before you did the Tabata?  Just curious... 

I did something like that, 'cept it was a regular spin bike...  After I was done with my 6 weeks of cardio base, I dropped my time down to an hour a day on the spin bike, but instead of low heart rate the whole time...  I started with a 10 minute warm up, low heart rate (55% to 65% of max), followed by 30 seconds as hard as I could go, then another 10 minutes slow, followed by another 30 seconds hard...  kept going that way for the hour. 

Every week, I increased the 30 second part, and towards the end, right before the season started, I was at 2 minutes "all out". 

Outlined my "routine" to Eddie C, and he said he liked it...  Only thing he would change is to make the 2 minutes "all out" longer.  Don't remember how long he said he would go maxed out...  I'll have to see if I can find it.

Like I said before, started out the year feeling like a teenager.  Problem was, second race in, I tipped over and broke my leg...  Haven't really exercised since.  Glad this thread got started, its got me re-introduced to my exercise room! :-)

98CR250R,

That looks very similar to what I did last winter. 

I'm 4 weeks into the "Base" now, soon the Airdyne H.I.T. punishment begins!

Also did some Kettlebell core stuff last winter,transfers to riding very well and muscles hurt in places I never knew I had!

It sure helped for riding the 4-5 hr Enduro's with my 13 yr old son this summer!

This fall I went head first into a post and messed up my shoulder (rotator cuff) same one I hurt 25 yrs ago! So I have to work on that.

Sucks to get OLD!  Super Senior Class for me this year.

edit:  PS..  Do any of you guys use a smart phone to reply on here?  Don't think I'll ever try that again!  Had to give up and use the computer!

10 years ago I weighed 215 pounds and packing it on fast.  Before my first daughter was born I controlled my eating and started running.  I lost 40 pounds.

The problem with being successful is you tell yourself you can always loose the weight again.

Today I weighed myself, 208 pounds.  It's so much harder now, but it's time to get serious.  I might get one of them fancy bikes.

I'm joining Snap fitness for sure.  It's going to have to wait until at least next week though.  We both have NASTY colds.  A granddaughter came over and stayed the day LAST weekend.   She had a bad cold.  Now WE have that same nasty cold.  Murphy's law.

I wish I could stand actually " working out." I've tried going to the gym in the past but get bored easily lol. Over the years I've gravitated towards doing stuff that is a great workout but doesn't seem like you're working out. I kayak and hike lots in the fall(hunting), starting up playing hockey on league this winter, hiking again checking hunting spots again in the spring then it's moto season again. I play softball too in the summer. That's more beer drinking and guy time than anything though haha.

I'm not a hunter but I go for hikes by the family cabin.  The difference FOR ME is, when I walk, I just get from point a to b.  When I'm doing a treadmill, for example, I have that different frame of mind and PUT OUT some effort.  When I would step off the treadmill, there was sweat dripping off the back of my hair and in my eyes.  I'd keep a towel hanging over the sides of the treadmill to wipe it off before I'm done.  I certainly never worked up a sweat doing hiking.  As long as I can keep the "mindless entertainment" thing at home, I'll be fine.  Softball is good though.  Your legs get a good workout with cut and thrust moves that even running doesn't give you.

I wish I could stand actually " working out." I've tried going to the gym in the past but get bored easily lol. Over the years I've gravitated towards doing stuff that is a great workout but doesn't seem like you're working out. I kayak and hike lots in the fall(hunting), starting up playing hockey on league this winter, hiking again checking hunting spots again in the spring then it's moto season again. I play softball too in the summer. That's more beer drinking and guy time than anything though haha.

I run and bicycle.  Bike to work a lot, it's 18 miles.  I wear a watch and I literally cannot help myself from trying to out do my best time.  Same with running.. Plus I run a lot of races and compete in some duathalons so that is motivation.  But try wearing a watch when you do things, if you are competitive you'll try to do it faster next time.

I run and bicycle.  Bike to work a lot, it's 18 miles.  I wear a watch and I literally cannot help myself from trying to out do my best time.  Same with running.. Plus I run a lot of races and compete in some duathalons so that is motivation.  But try wearing a watch when you do things, if you are competitive you'll try to do it faster next time.

Try the Strava app.  A few people on here are on it and use it for running, biking and trail riding.  

Leaving for Cali in a few days.  Looking forward to running on the beach. 

Try the Strava app.  A few people on here are on it and use it for running, biking and trail riding.  

Leaving for Cali in a few days.  Looking forward to running on the beach. 

I will look into it but I can say if it involves carrying my phone with me that is a dealbreaker!

That sounds pretty damn good. 

A lot better than doing it in 35 degrees and rain, and dark.

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to Winter Physical Conditioning?