Conditioning

Minnesota

What happened to your treadmill? I used to work at a store that did repairs on them and they are 20x simpler than a bike!

What happened to your treadmill? I used to work at a store that did repairs on them and they are 20x simpler than a bike!

According to a repair guy that lives close to me, I described the symptoms to him and he said the main panel board is bad.  I think he quoted me $650 for the board (mfgr. price - not his) and $75 to change the board.  

I run and bicycle.  Bike to work a lot, it's 18 miles.  I wear a watch and I literally cannot help myself from trying to out do my best time.  Same with running.. Plus I run a lot of races and compete in some duathalons so that is motivation.  But try wearing a watch when you do things, if you are competitive you'll try to do it faster next time.

I AM pretty competitive and hard on myself.  What I did was pick a time duration and never quit early, and keep bumping up the speed during that time, but NEVER slow it down.   So it would work out that I'd go a little farther every time.  In fact, I was disappointed if I didn't and that was usually when I was sick or some other reason.

I'm not a hunter but I go for hikes by the family cabin. The difference FOR ME is, when I walk, I just get from point a to b. When I'm doing a treadmill, for example, I have that different frame of mind and PUT OUT some effort. When I would step off the treadmill, there was sweat dripping off the back of my hair and in my eyes. I'd keep a towel hanging over the sides of the treadmill to wipe it off before I'm done. I certainly never worked up a sweat doing hiking. As long as I can keep the "mindless entertainment" thing at home, I'll be fine. Softball is good though. Your legs get a good workout with cut and thrust moves that even running doesn't give you.

You should come on a hike with me! I bet you'll be sweating by the time we get to where we're going lol! Most of the time I've got at least 100lbs of gear that either needs to be carried or drug. I hear you though about the mindset though when you flip the switch. Kind of that "game time" mentality to push hard. That's when the burn feels good doesn't it?

You should come on a hike with me! I bet you'll be sweating by the time we get to where we're going lol! Most of the time I've got at least 100lbs of gear that either needs to be carried or drug. I hear you though about the mindset though when you flip the switch. Kind of that "game time" mentality to push hard. That's when the burn feels good doesn't it?

Yes, I'd feel great when it's all over.  More recently, it also took me almost an hour to recover.  I do miss that feeling of satisfaction!

I AM pretty competitive and hard on myself.  What I did was pick a time duration and never quit early, and keep bumping up the speed during that time, but NEVER slow it down.   So it would work out that I'd go a little farther every time.  In fact, I was disappointed if I didn't and that was usually when I was sick or some other reason.

Oh yeah? I bet I am more competitive than you.

Haha j/k.

Sort of...

Lol

The 2 things I mentioned, never slow down & never quit early really makes you  think if you're feeling "Hey I'm not pushing myself enough - bump the speed up".   If you go too crazy, you MAY NOT make it to the end of your session.   But it was kind of fun with the timer on the panel to bump up the speed, but a little sooner every time and that equals distance.  I'd write down the distance every time for the target next time.

According to a repair guy that lives close to me, I described the symptoms to him and he said the main panel board is bad.  I think he quoted me $650 for the board (mfgr. price - not his) and $75 to change the board.  

Correction - It was around $450 for the board and $75 to replace it (which I could probably do)

I should check for new topics more often...

I was a distance runner in high school and did some MTB racing in college. Now I'm chubby and my knees are shot. But I think it still helped me build tolerance to long periods of aerobic stress.

I hate working out with machines, too. Used to run all winter to train for track in the Spring. 4:36 mile, just throwing that out there...I'm not really competitive either, right?

If you run or bike, I think the Strava app is awesome. People save route segments in the system and you can compare your times to others. Great motivation to push and improve.

I ride my bike on indoor rollers in the winter, like it cause I'm still steering and balancing. But it still gets boring.

Started XC skiing last year, has been a great workout since I'm not that good.

At this point, I've been out riding my dirt bike the past 2 weekends, I guess my winter training starts next month?

I admit it wouldn't be as easy for me if I didn't have some goal to try to beat every time.  Just walking on a machine for the sake of walking could get old pretty quick.  I also admit I know that just walking or some other primarily leg workout is not the end-all for off road biking.  But I thought that's where I needed the work the most.  I also started lifting lighter weights with MANY repetitions while I'm walking.  I THINK I'm at a point where I can resume that - but it will be at Snap.  I'm still getting over that nasty cold (gonna give it to all my relatives on Christmas!) so I figured I'd wait another week or so before I go to Snap.

It was a little cold outside, and I didn't feel like going jogging.  First try on the Air Dyne.  It seemed too easy at first so I thought I should stand and pedal.   Well I was going to try it for 30 minutes, but I had to get off at 16 minutes to grab the TV remote.  I could hardly walk.  Tomorrow will be a long day.  I'll try more next year.

I'm still shaking the cold (virus) so next week I'll make it to SNAP.

It was a little cold outside, and I didn't feel like going jogging.  First try on the Air Dyne.  It seemed too easy at first so I thought I should stand and pedal.   Well I was going to try it for 30 minutes, but I had to get off at 16 minutes to grab the TV remote.  I could hardly walk.  Tomorrow will be a long day.  I'll try more next year.

How far, or how long do you jog?   

Beat your 16 minutes by a little bit every day (or better yet, twice a day),  and two weeks down the road, things will feel a whole lot different :-)

How far, or how long do you jog?   

Beat your 16 minutes by a little bit every day (or better yet, twice a day),  and two weeks down the road, things will feel a whole lot different :-)

I've been joggin casually for ten years.  The last 6 months have been pretty busy so I haven't been running.  My distance is down to about 3-4 miles.  Usually I'd run about 5.  The air dyne is using different muscles.  I don't really burn that many calories jogging anymore.

I've been thinking about changing my name for a while.  Now my TT name and ebay name match.  I'm also on ADVrider and thinking about changing it there later.  Speedtoad might be  Presumptious, but not as much as speedrabbit or speedcheetah. ;)

I've been thinking about changing my name for a while.  Now my TT name and ebay name match.  I'm also on ADVrider and thinking about changing it there later.  Speedtoad might be  Presumptious, but not as much as speedrabbit or speedcheetah. ;)

`I thought motoxvet was a little presumptuous too but I chose that name on a suggestion from someone on the TCTR website and when I joined TT, I decided to keep it.   Kind of makes me seem like a grizzled old veteran that still races when in reality, I hadn't for many years.  

`I thought motoxvet was a little presumptuous too but I chose that name on a suggestion from someone on the TCTR website and when I joined TT, I decided to keep it.   Kind of makes me seem like a grizzled old veteran that still races when in reality, I hadn't for many years.  

I was thinking of you when I wrote it.  I remember you saying it at the Garage Party Last year.

I should still mention though, I AM still grizzled and old!

I keep getting good comments from people about the Airdyne for working out.  I'll get to Snap this week and I'll eventually try one there.  If I like it better than a treadmill, maybe I'll buy one of those instead.  Probably cheaper too.

I keep getting good comments from people about the Airdyne for working out.  I'll get to Snap this week and I'll eventually try one there.  If I like it better than a treadmill, maybe I'll buy one of those instead.  Probably cheaper too.

The biggest bonus for me is that my spouse wants to use it too. 

Standing on it is a lot like an elliptical only harder.