How totone down a Honda CRF250X

I am looking for my first dirt bike. Had street bike a while back, but only trail experience is mountain biking. 6 foot tall 185-200lbs. I was initially looking at a 230, but figure after a short while that bike will not be satisfactory. Found a great deal - no make that a phenomenal deal on a 2012 brand new at dealer never been rode Honda CRF250X. I would like to know if there are some easy things I can do tame it down a bit for when I am first starting that can be reversed as I grow accustomed to it. I was thinking there must be some type of throttle limiter, and maybe an exhaust baffle. Am I correct? What other easy stuff can I do. I will be riding trails with and without my 9 yr old son who just got first bike, May do some racing (mild - medium duty for fun - used to race mountain bike), and mild track like whoops, medium table tops, and smaller singles. Thanks in advance forall your advice.

Like Willy says, bone stock they are pretty weak, baffles and restrictions built into the intake and exhaust. There are a lot of easy mods to unleash the power called "uncorking" when you are ready.

Congratulations. The 250X is a great choice for you.

Guess I need to understand the product more??? I thought the 230 had all those restrictions. did not know the 250X did as well. Maybe I have the X confused with the R. Or is it that all you guys are hard core and a faster than light rocket ship seems like a dog?

Guess I need to understand the product more??? I thought the 230 had all those restrictions. did not know the 250X did as well. Maybe I have the X confused with the R. Or is it that all you guys are hard core and a faster than light rocket ship seems like a dog?

R is the motocross bike, X is the trail bike. The X is pretty tame and you shouldn't worry.

The X and the R in 250 and 450 are essentially the same bike with some important variations such as electric start, kickstand and different suspension valving. What's different about the X's power delivery is that the bike comes stock with restrictors and a tamer camshaft than the R model. These restrictors can be removed or modified to open up breathing and further yet, a more aggressive camshaft from the R bike or aftermarket can be installed as a straight swap.  All that's required then is to jet the carburetor richer to make up for its better breathing.

The X in stock form is very tame but can be easily modified to run just as hard as the R bike. It's not a rocket ship as you suggest in stock form but can easily be made into one, still with the lovely woods-valved suspension and electric start.

I had a X several years ago with a Hotcams Stage III camshaft, airbox restrictor removed and Yoshimura full exhaust sytem. It felt like it made twice the power of a stock bike but was probably about 25% more. I actually found it easier to ride with more power. It pulled longer and harder in every gear and didn't need to be shifted as much.

CRF 230 Trail bike with poor suspension and a tame motor. Fun for EASY rides, enough tourque for some hills. Most people who start with this bike quickly feel the need to upgrade.

CRF 250x Woods/trail bike with pretty good suspension, and is based on the "R". As mentioned, electric start, kick stand, headlight and a tuneable engine that allows it to be a better bike as you progress in your skills.

CRF 250r Motocross bike, race bike, built for tracks, kick start, no kick stand, no headlight, can be adapted for woods, but definitely a race bike.

Those are the basics, sounds to me like the 250x would be the best choice for you.

• Like 1

My wife's first bike was a wr250f and I un-corked it before she ever rode it. She is 5'4" tall and does fine on it. Power is far better than stock and still not too much for her. The honda is the same. Buy it ride it and enjoy. They are great bikes. You will want to fix the issues at some point and get it breathing better. If you open the throttle to quick it will die and toss you over the bars. Open the air box, cut the pink wire, and clean up the jetting it will still be tame but won't die like that.

Thanks for all the replies and info. Went ahead and made the deal on the 250X. I am very excited. Seems like a perfect bike for me. Plan to get my feet wet on the stock bike and mod it over time as I grow into it. My sister and brother in law have 10 acres. they say they will build a mini practice course if we let them ride our bikes. mine fits him and son's fits my sis.

• Like 2