Should I buy a 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Well guys I am looking at getting back into ridding after being out for 8 years. I am 23 years old 6ft tall and 220-230 lbs and trying to loose some. I grew up riding 2 strokes and my last bike was a 01 rm125. I ride mostly motocross and some trails. I am not out there clearing 100ft triples I am just out having fun no racing or anything. My buddy think I need a 450 cause of my size but I know a 250 2 stroke will tote me around all day. What do yall think I should get? I don't care brand wise I just want to go have fun. I am mechanically inclined but I still love working on a 2 stroke better than 4 and a top end is cheaper lol.

From greensboro area I had a 450 about 6 years ago and it was to much for me. I am just out having fun.

A 250 smoker is a great play bike.  Cheap to maintain and they retain their value.  If you could get that RM for closer to $2300-$2400 it is a good deal.  It's also the last year Suzuki made them so I would bet that in 5 years you could get the same $ back for it. 

Resale value on a 450 is garbage.  Everybody wants the newest one possible so the prices go down every year.  250 2 stroke prices have stabilized, especially the newest models since they don't make them anymore.  I could sell my CR250 today for more than I paid for it 3 years ago. 

A 250 smoker is a great play bike. Cheap to maintain and they retain their value. If you could get that RM for closer to $2300-$2400 it is a good deal. It's also the last year Suzuki made them so I would bet that in 5 years you could get the same $ back for it.

Resale value on a 450 is garbage. Everybody wants the newest one possible so the prices go down every year. 250 2 stroke prices have stabilized, especially the newest models since they don't make them anymore. I could sell my CR250 today for more than I paid for it 3 years ago.

Cool deal that's what I want to know. My last 2 smoker I had I loved it great fun easy to work on and maintain. Great all around bikes. I am not a hard rider or racer so a 450 I will never use all that power and plus all the extra weight.

Cool deal that's what I want to know. My last 2 smoker I had I loved it great fun easy to work on and maintain. Great all around bikes. I am not a hard rider or racer so a 450 I will never use all that power and plus all the extra weight.

the 08 RM has a pretty snappy motor.  If it feels like too much right off the bat, many throw a flywheel weight on them. 

I still can't get over your buddy talking about resale value and 4 strokes in the same sentence! 

Good luck and feel free to throw up links to bikes you are checking out up here.

the 08 RM has a pretty snappy motor. If it feels like too much right off the bat, many throw a flywheel weight on them.

I still can't get over your buddy talking about resale value and 4 strokes in the same sentence!

Good luck and feel free to throw up links to bikes you are checking out up here.

I also just found these 2 bikes about a hr from me

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1418153983.740642.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1418153997.069787.jpg

If you want more low end power go with the 4 stroke, if you want more high end go with a 2 stroke, the 4 stroke you'll be able to lug around a little more, the 2 stroke your gonna have to ride more on the pipe. 2 stroke is also cheaper to work on and easier, where a 4 stroke is a little more and a little harder to work on but a 2 stroke you'll probably going to have to work on it a little more than a 4 stroke.

I got a 95 KX250 for 625 as a project bike. It was awesome restoring it and taking something that was nearly junk and making it into something nice. 

The first ride was awesome, It had been several years for me too:

10687917_573465529447038_898748487529113

Waiting on graphics and it will be 100% ready to ride. About $1200 and I know its put together right.

FullSizeRender-1_zpseb7e0336.jpg 

• Like 2

the 08 RM has a pretty snappy motor. If it feels like too much right off the bat, many throw a flywheel weight on them.

I just found this bike I know it's 4 stroke but looks nice

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/4758103340.html

6 year old 250f... pds rear suspension... those KTM's weren't really known for reliability either. I would personally pass but that is just my opinion.

That's what I want to hear. I hear good about the newer KTMs but don't hear much on the old ones

• Like 1

If you want more low end power go with the 4 stroke, if you want more high end go with a 2 stroke, the 4 stroke you'll be able to lug around a little more, the 2 stroke your gonna have to ride more on the pipe. 2 stroke is also cheaper to work on and easier, where a 4 stroke is a little more and a little harder to work on but a 2 stroke you'll probably going to have to work on it a little more than a 4 stroke.

a 450f has more low end and top end power than a 250 2 stroke.  As it should, it has almost twice the displacement.  A 250f has less low end and less top end power than a 250 2 stroke.