kx250 rear hub bearing conversion question

Hey guys and gals,

I am curious if anyone has converted a 98-02 KX 250 rear hub to accept a 25mm axle, i.e. newer bearings,spacers and such in the older hub? The reason I ask is can't seem to find just a 2003 or newer oem rear hub on EBAY, plenty of wheels just no hubs. I have purchased a 2003 swing arm, brake bracket and axle to convert to the bigger axle. Thanks for any help.

TPAYNE

Is there a bearing that is 2.5mm smaller on each side??

Not to sound like a total noob but I'm not sure what your asking. From another thread i read the dimensions of of 02 and older wheel bearings are 20X42X12 and the 03 and newer are 25x42x9, so I didn't know if the 03 and up bearings and internal hub spacer have the same dimensions from side to side as an assembly as the 02 and older set. now that that's as clear as mud.

If the bearing is the same OD, can you just find one with the same width?

Does the 2003 swingarm fit your bike?

I guess that's kinda what my question was, if anyone had done something like this already and what they did to accomplish it, and yes the 03 swingarm will bolt right up. I will probably just buy new wheel set, I am just trying to get by on the cheap until I can afford them.

• 11 months later...

-You can make the older wheel for the new KX. You need to buy 3 of the 25mm x 42mm x 9mm wheel bearing and 2x seals that fit the newer model.

-You need to make 3 custom spacers because the 25mm ID bearings are 3mm narrower and the center spacer has to fit the 25mm axle.

-You need to narrow the newer wheel's normal wheel spacer that fit into the seals from 22mm down to 19mm deep.

Bearing thickness spacers spec:

1 of  41.9mm OD x 32mm ID x 3mm thick

1 of  41.9mm OD x 32mm ID x 6mm thick

Center spacer:

1 of 25.5 ID x 31.1 OD x 102.35mm Long

-Put the 3mm spacer in the disc side of the hub and then the new narrower bearing. Install circlip.

-Put the new center spacer tube into hub.

-Put the 6mm spacer in the sprocket side of the hub and then the 2 new narrower bearings.

Go riding !

Edited by shurshot
  • Like 1

-You can make the older wheel for the new KX. You need to buy 3 of the 25mm x 42mm x 9mm wheel bearing and 2x seals that fit the newer model.

-You need to make 3 custom spacers because the 25mm ID bearings are 3mm narrower and the center spacer has to fit the 25mm axle.

-You need to narrow the newer wheel's normal wheel spacer that fit into the seals from 22mm down to 19mm deep.

Bearing thickness spacers spec:

1 of  41.9mm OD x 32mm ID x 3mm thick

1 of  41.9mm OD x 32mm ID x 6mm thick

Center spacer:

1 of 25.5 ID x 31.1 OD x 102.35mm Long

-Put the 3mm spacer in the disc side of the hub and then the new narrower bearing. Install circlip.

-Put the new center spacer tube into hub.

-Put the 6mm spacer in the sprocket side of the hub and then the 2 new narrower bearings.

Go riding !

OOPS.. My fat fingers. Spacer should be 100.35mm long (not 102.35)

• 3 years later...