Skid plate recommendation

That thing could sure use some vent holes/oil drain holes and a bit more side protection. I like the idea of it extending back to the linkage though.

I don't know if it's just the angle of the pics or what, but this thing has more side protection than any other skid plate I've seen.

I'll probably take it off for oil changes, so not to worried about oil leaking onto it.

Look at the Cycra full-wrap plate coverage for comparison.

However, I'm not terribly thrilled with the cheap easily-rounded hardware on my Cycra skidplate at the moment either.  Going to occupy more time than I'd like to extract that damn thing.

i wouldnt get the gytr.  i finally just couldnt stand looking at it anymore and took it off and ordered a tm designs.  ill let you guys know how it is.

Did you have the aluminum or plastic GYTR skid plate? What did you not like about it? 

Did you have the aluminum or plastic GYTR skid plate? What did you not like about it? 

I have a metal one and don't like it.  It is very thin and sticks out to much on the sides and doesnt wrap up very high to protect the engine sides.  It is also difficult to mount.

I've got the wc mx plate it fits really well looks good don't notice any noise and is more than solid enough to take anything you could throw at it, smashed it over about 10 logs last time I was out and I can't see any damage📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421474442.620903.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1421474488.512459.jpg

How much did that skid plate cost?

I have the Acerbis Skid plate on my 14. A few complaints: 1. It pinches the over flow tube near the water pump. 2 Its easy to take off, but can be a pain to put back on. There is a rotating arm that fits behind the frame to hold it in place and sometimes that doesnt want to rotate.

is that the mx plate or full coverage plate?

Look at the Cycra full-wrap plate coverage for comparison.

However, I'm not terribly thrilled with the cheap easily-rounded hardware on my Cycra skidplate at the moment either.  Going to occupy more time than I'd like to extract that damn thing.

I have the same full coverage cycra. Those stupid hex bolts rounded out the first time I had to remove the plate for an oil change. My solution was to go to the local parts store and buy some bolts with a 10mm head. No more problems there. My only complaint is having to remove it to change oil and wash it. It holds mud a debri like no other. It has such good coverage that the only way to spray water below the frame rails is through the vent holes. If you don't remove it after every ride, you end up With a 1/4 inch layer of mud baked onto the bottom of the cases.
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the Acerbis Skid plate on my 14. A few complaints: 1. It pinches the over flow tube near the water pump. 2 Its easy to take off, but can be a pain to put back on. There is a rotating arm that fits behind the frame to hold it in place and sometimes that doesnt want to rotate.

2015 yz450. Just installed my skid plate last night and ditto on the comment listed above. Pinches crank breather almost completely. Had to cut the front bracket 1/4" and drill a hole on each side to zip tie the bracket in place to make it easier to install. The rear mounting screw is wrong diameter and I had to re-drill all the mounting holes in order to fit. I would spend the extra 20 bucks more and get another brand. Just sayin