Any light wt riders running MX style swing arms? What spring rate are you running?

I can't seem to find a shock with anything under 800lbs/in spring for the MX style swing arm bikes. I know there are tons of variables with this I'm just trying to find a starting point for my son who's only 75lbs. From what I've found most people that are between 140-180 are running the 800lb spring so in theory my son is half that weight and should go with a 400lb spring. My son is a beginner so I'd probably opt on the softer side. Any advise is greatly appreciated let me know what your running, how much you weigh, and skill level.

I am looking at getting this shock and no I don't need an Elka, Fox, works, or other high $$$ shock.

http://tboltusa.com/store/dnm-rear-shock-mt-rc-280mm-p-2599.html

Then get a spring from RaceTech for his weight.

Thanks.

Edited by rlmxracer

He's getting a SSR SR110 for Christmas. I ended up getting a Fastace shock with a 550 lb/in spring. This should be in the ballpark. For the forks Im gonna run it with one spring and 10wt oil. I plan to go by Racetech to get the stock fork springs tested to see what rate they are and see if I can get somthing lighter.

• 5 months later...

I am in the same situation. I just bought a SR110TR for my son. I have lightened the suspension as much as possible but his 65lbs body doesnt make the forks or rear suspension hardly move. I have contact Eibach springs and SSR to see if either could provide me with lighter springs. let me know if you come up with anything. 

I am in the same situation. I just bought a SR110TR for my son. I have lightened the suspension as much as possible but his 65lbs body doesnt make the forks or rear suspension hardly move. I have contact Eibach springs and SSR to see if either could provide me with lighter springs. let me know if you come up with anything.

I just take the shock off and head to the local motorcycle salvage yard. Usually I have the opposite problem with pit bikes, but most of the time I have had no problem finding a better quality shock and spring off a Japanese bike, sled or atv that has been a perfect fit or required very little modifications.

Only issue you may run into is our local yard requires you bring your own tools and it takes a little time, but usually the used parts are super cheap.