help, clutch lever flicks out

I've got a 2005 KTM 300EXC 2-stroke, with hydraulic clutch. BTW, the bike and the sport are new to me.

The clutch lever has a nasty habit of flicking past wide open, so that the pin on the lever that normally interfaces with piston bumps out and won't reseat unless I fiddle with the lever. As a temporary fix, I've tied some string on the lever to prevent it from going out past the disengagement point.

I've spent some time looking at it, but it's not clear to me what normally is supposed to prevent this from happening. I dunno, maybe the rubber boot on the piston is worn out? Am I missing some clip or something? Is the mount mis-adjusted?  Any suggestions?

There is supposed to be a spring (Part# 59002035000) ahead of the pivot point of the lever that seats against the master cylinder and prevents the lever from moving too far out.  That spring is probably missing and should be replaced.  

• 1 month later...

If maybe someone could make this a little clear too...

I have the same problem as Dr Fumbles above, but, My spring is still there! the boot is missing, but even with that off the lever should not go loose like that and disengage from the piston... 

Any ideas? Ive had a look and just cant seem to get my head around this at all. 

200EXC 2008. 

Replacement levers come with the new springs and attendant hardware without which you get the problem you are describing.  Pick up a spare aftermarket lever and you should be good.  I carry spares with me and they have always come with the extra springs.

See if the lever is broken or worn in the area indicated in the picture.

The only piece missing from my assembly is the boot (23) although I have to say that the red circle drawn shows a protrusion from the lever that mine does not.

It doesnt look broken though...

I have a new lever set ordered now but its putting me out of shape buying something to fix an unknown problem.

Cheers for the help all the same!!