2008 Woods build - suspension revalving

Hello,

Just purchased a 2008 bike with less time than my old 05. Looking for suggestions on suspension valving / setup.

I'm 175 lb. Haven't raced, but ride the A level hare scramble trails in Squamish, BC. Expect I would finish top quarter in B level, based on my friends riding. Don't do any big jumping, the trails are technical with lots of roots and rocks.

I'm mechanically inclined, but have no experience tuning suspension. I'm wondering whether anyone could recommend settings for me (Springs, valving, oil).

FWIW, I run a rekluse, LHRB, tubliss. 05 Bike had the forks dropped in the triples, not sure whether the 08 will need the same. Understand many people like adding dampening to the HPSD with thicker oil for off road riding.

Cheers!

Edited by mullenc525

Unless you want to learn how to be a suspension expert in your spare time, I would send the front and rear out to be done professionally.

All you want to do is change the mid and base valves to dual-staged stacks, and  adjust the float for your level of agressiveness.

There is extensive information on Showa large-midvalve forks in the suspension forum, a list of required tools, and verbage guideance so you can speak their language.

Get rid of the HPSD and install a real damper.

• Like 2

Unless you want to learn how to be a suspension expert in your spare time, I would send the front and rear out to be done professionally.

All you want to do is change the mid and base valves to dual-staged stacks, and  adjust the float for your level of agressiveness.

There is extensive information on Showa large-midvalve forks in the suspension forum, a list of required tools, and verbage guideance so you can speak their language.

Get rid of the HPSD and install a real damper.

get a scotts

i did all kinds of things to the hpsd

theres nothing comparable to a scotts

i think every bike needs one..

you can turn it down low enough not to feel but its still working.

Edited by EnglertRacing
  • Like 1

get a scotts

i did all kinds of things to the hpsd

theres nothing comparable to a scotts

i think every bike needs one..

you can turn it down low enough not to feel but its still working.

The Scott Damper is expensive as hell, and worth every penny. Ive got one on my CB1100F. All the way down, its almost like its not there. All the way up..you'd think the bars were welded to the frame. Awesome device.

if you are doing mostly technical stuff as you explained, i see no need for the scotts damper. the oem steering aid does ok. Just remember it has no damping when centered, only starts to dampen when bars are turned slightly.. i added heavier oil to mine. Lots of desert racing, or higher speed stuff a lot? yea, i would consider getting one.

There is a current thread on this forum, addressing the harshness of the 08 fork midvalve. It's pretty horrible, and is the only negative i see to the 08 as an offroad machine. The 08 forks are SHORTER than some too, so running with a lot showing above the clamp is not ideal. I run my 2004 with more showing than my 08 (close to flush actually).

Rekluse is the best money you can spend, then 13oz or heavier flywheel weight (trail tech ).

THe cool think about the 08 is the timing retard device (retards timing in lower gears).. it makes this bike WAY more manageable from closed to slightly open throttle, right where lots of technical riding will be done, and even weaving in and out of trees at fast pace. the 04 (and other years) just hit so hard off the bottom.

I'm 165 w/out gear, but race hs at an A pace (sr A that is), and went 1 rate lower on front springs. i raced it this way for a couple seasons, and ride it as a practice bike now that i bought a ktm350xcf. I JUST went down to a 5.2 shock spring from the 5.4 stocker. WOW.. soo much better, so much more balanced. this is with way softer valving front/rear already.

Edited by MELK-MAN