Would like opinions about the 250SX

I'm a 50 yo vet recreational MX rider (meaning slow) ridding in hard pack terrain.I have a chance of getting a 2014 250 sx at a good price. I have ridden the 300 XC which I liked the torque on it & also rode a buddy's 250 SX which I found it to be hard hitting. Is it possible to make the 250 sx's power close to the 300XC without buying the $900 kit?. I did a search & couldn't find much. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger

I'm selling my 300sx kit for $675 including shipping. I bought it a month ago. It's too much for this old man.  It has 6.6 hours total. Perfect condition.  Includes the cylinder, cylinder head, all pv parts, the piston kit (with 6.6 hours on it) and an assortment of gaskets.  The Z dimension is set to 48.5 mm per the spec. It's ready to bolt on and ride.... My bike is a 2012. Same kit...

Edited by Dirt Addict

I have a '14 250sx and I ride a two stroke for many reasons including ease of maintenance, price, sound, weight and Its just cool. The good thing about the ktm is the adjustability. With the different powervalve springs and you can buy the powervalve preload tool for $7 it changes the bike completely you can literally make the power act soft and gutless to fire breathing in 5 minutes. Jet it rich and the power becomes even more linear. Basically what I'm trying to say is the adjustability is almost endless...and you can buy the 300 kit. Hope that helps and is too much of a run on rant. ✊

Good thread, Im in same boat as seeker thinking about a new 250sx, (and several other mx specific models)  Im reading some issues about throttle cables. Is it still advisable on the newer sx's to replace the stock cable with the motion pro that threads in, or is that old news? Any big problems with the sx that need attention? don't want to get us off track, as Im also interested in the o.p.'s question, just digging a little for additional info.

I'll plus one for the flywheel weight. my buddy has one on his '14 250SX and the power is definitely smoother. His bike never seems to want to stall out in corners and can roll the throttle on smoother and easier. His bike requires less clutching which is common of two strokes to need to abuse the clutch a lot. Not so with the fww.

I am 49 and ride two 250sx bikes. They are great bikes. My 06 250sx is setup for trail riding with the green PV spring a 120 rear tire an FMF turbine core 2 sparky and some soft suspension. I have my 11 250sx for MX racing. I like my 11 with the green spring and the map switch on the stock setting for hard pack dirt. In the sand I like the red spring and the map switch in the #2 setting.

If you really want a stump puller put the green spring in the PV, put the map switch on the #2 setting and get an FMF gnarly pipe for it. The 120 rear tire really slows down the snap a lot. It's a lot cheaper than getting an 18" rear wheel or a flywheel weight. The 250 can have more low end than you will ever need if you set it up to be a low end motor.

I have a 2012. Other then the pipe cracking near the spring eyelet multiple times (Pro Circuit solved that problem) and the so called Excel rims made of butter it has been a solid bike!  As others have already mentioned you can tune from mild to wild and still have the 300SX kit option. 2012 puts out 50hp stock.

Hey thanks for the responses. I know is not going to be like a four stroke, but I see there are quite a few options that can be done to it. Is just when I ride my buddy's '14 250 sx, it feels soft at the very beginning & then as you open the throttle some more all of the sudden it hits really hard. It makes me back out the throttle when going up a ramp at an angle 'cause I feel it will jump abruptly sideways.

That sounds like a jetting issue. I would think it is a little fat off the bottom and then hits hard when it cleans out in the mid range. Does his bike have spooge coming out of the silencer? It should not have any at all. None of my bikes have any blackness at all on the end of the silencer and they pull like electric motors right off the bottom.

You can also use it as a snow bike. This my 2012 which is ported polished 212 psi compression runs 1/2 premuim 1/2 vpc12 fuel,38mm lectron carb makes jetting perfect at any temp or altitude and more power up top being bigger, fmf exhuast ,map switch, sususpsion revalved which really helps forks,kreff powervalve adjuster which is way better than screwing with springs all the time and make huge difference in power delivery. Also 11 ounce stealth flywheel weight which makes bike way smoother and more traction. With these mods bike can be a Harding hitting track bike that can hang with any bike with right rider or smooth stump puller for old vet guys like me. The best part is super realable, cheap to fix and the light feeling no 4 stroke can compare to. For the money best all round bike you can buy but this is only my oppion.

image.jpg

• Like 1