XR50

My father in law wants to buy my son a dirt bike for Christmas. He is 5 years old. He put me in charge of finding the bike and I have come across an XR50 that is local, a 2002 model.

I guess I can ride it around and test it, but are there any specific things I should be looking for? I guess it's like any other bike but since I am spending his money I want to make sure if not buying junk.

Thanks,

Joey

UM, I've had my 07 since, well 07. Been through 4 kids and their friends and cousins, there is virtually no maintenance. Change the oil and air filter service every once in a while and let them ride. A single boy simply cannot hurt one of these bikes. Their dad trying to jump it might, but a 5-7 yo won't. The CRF also has an adjustable throttle, so when he is first starting to ride, you can slow the throttle way down. It also has real gears....as in you can/should shift the bike, just no clutch.

The 2t bikes have centrifugal clutches and those can be a pain when/if they go out.

When looking at the bike(s), look for bent handle bars, bent forks, straight wheels and no spokes should be broken. These are all signs of abuse that these bikes aren't made for. Well, bent bars happen but the crf50 bars and top clamp are one piece and can be spendy if you need to replace them. Tires should be stock/never changed. My 07 is just now needing new tires but like I said.....4 kids+ (and a couple tubes from nails). If it has after market plastics, you'll want the stock ones too. The AM plastics don't last long, just a crash or two, he will crash, and they will be ugly.

If the bike is stock and unbent and the seller can tell you what type and weight of oil he uses, your probably good to go.

Edited by 6 Riders

That was really helpful thanks. I did look at the 07 last night and rode it. The engine started first kick dead cold, it seemed a tad cold natured but after a minute settled into a nice smooth idle and rode and shifted great. Everything did look straight so I think we have a winner.

I'm supposed to pick it up this afternoon. I should have one very happy little boy on Christmas.

• Like 1

Just to update, I did pick up the CRF but I had to leave it at work, I don't have a good hiding spot for it here.

I'm happy with it, it looks nice and starts very easy. I went to kick it and kind of got off balance and it started with a wimpy 1/4 kick so that was nice.

One problem I did notice is that the bars are slightly bent. Just the left side is bent down but I should be able to straighten it.

• Like 1

Just to update, I did pick up the CRF but I had to leave it at work, I don't have a good hiding spot for it here.

I'm happy with it, it looks nice and starts very easy. I went to kick it and kind of got off balance and it started with a wimpy 1/4 kick so that was nice.

One problem I did notice is that the bars are slightly bent. Just the left side is bent down but I should be able to straighten it.

I wouldn't try to straighten them out. You could weaken them. Just leave them unless they are bent to the point that you think it affects the way it tracks. Your son probably won't notice.....Our 50's bars are slightly bent, doesn't really make a big difference to the kids (if they even notice). Besides, your son will do everything he can to bend them more 🤣  (I hope).

Also, good choice in bikes  👍

Ok I'm not totally sure, but I think that the ktm 50 is about the same seat height, the bike is much lighter, cheaper to maintain and he wont get bored of the engine. The XR50 is also a good choice, but personally I wouldn't chose it.

You are totally wrong on your statement that a ktm 50 is cheaper to maintain. Those things are always breaking.

Crf50's are bullet proof. Awesome reliable bike.