New YZ250F maintenance question

Its the general consensus that they don't put enough grease in the steering head and linkage/swingarm bearings from the factory. Grease em up.

Ok cool is that all that would needed to be greased? also Any tips for a good brand of Grease to use for my 15 yz250f or just any grease? Also would I need to take apart the bike to Grease the steering head and/or linkage/swingarm bearings or is this possible while not taking anything off? Sorry I'm still learning how to maintain my bike

Any waterproof grease is good , I like maxima. Yeah there is a lot of dissassembly involved, no more grease zerks anymore these days. Here is a good video on taking apart the linkage 

the linkage they are taking apart is a great example of what happens when they aren't lubricated. Edited by baisleyde

Yeah when it's brand new is the best time to do the greasing and anti-seize bolts and loctite bolts and just go over the whole bike from front to back. It will never be

as clean as it is when it comes off the showroom floor no matter how much cleaning  you do before maintenance. So if you can stand the torture of not riding a brand new

bike then do the maintenance first and it will reward you in the long run. Hopefully Yamaha has a good Owners manual and just follow it for torque settings and all when it

comes to linkage torques and steering stem. 

Good Luck.

Tomsz:

If you've never done the linkages before I suggest you take some pics before you take everything apart and as you are going along too.  There are a lot of steps and if you are new it can be baffling putting the whole thing back together. Mind, everything fits only one way but pics will save you a lot of time.

Also, beware of pin bearings. If the pins fall out chances are you will not find them.  So, just handle the pieces carefully and take care not to lose any of the bearings.

it's a good idea to forge ahead and do it. The first time will take you forever and the second time will be a breeze. Here is step by step on a WR250R. The linkages are very similar so the principals are the same.

>> http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/chassis/66-swingarmmaint