Radiator hose kit - no more thermostat - no biggie?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving this old discussion...  Recently had the thermostat removed and replaced with a Y on my nearly new RRS because it was leaking.  In even mildly cool SoCal temps (60F) and after being fully warmed up, the coolant temp quickly drops below 130F at light engine loads over 35mph or so.  For any bike that will see such use, either on the street or on fireroads, keeping the thermostat seems like a good idea to maintain reasonable minimum running temps even in temperate areas.

• Like 1

Have a 2017 500 RR-S. Live in NM mountains and routinely ride above 8000 ft.

Replaced my hoses and deleted thermostat when I had the typical coolant leak from the thermostat. Then went to Colorado in early Oct and rode at high altitude (10-13000 ft). In my opinion the bike did not run as well, took forever to warm up (temps in 30s and 40s), and ran much cooler than what I was used to. Also, when I ride in NM, temps vary greatly during the day.

So I put the thermostat back on and feel the bike runs more consistently. I also had a terrible flameout and idle problem in Colorado, even after attempting to reset by idling for a long periods after start without touching the throttle. May be completely unrelated, but haven't had any idle or flameout issues after putting the thermostat back on.

I know a lot of folks run with no thermostat just fine. Probably would work great at lower altitudes, more temperate and consistent temperature climate, etc. Mine seems to be happier with it. Just waiting for this one to leak though.......

Edited by mferring1
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just installed the Samco kit from Beta on my 2017 390-RRS. I too had a leak coming from my thermostat housing. The clearance between the header and lower hose is very close. As mentioned, twisting the hose before clamping helps a bit. I also zip-tied it down and left overnight hoping it would stay, but it didn't do much.  

Pics attached 

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

IMG_3751.JPG

• Like 1