Best Enduro Skid Plate?

I know this is like asking the what the best flavor of ice cream is, but here it goes anyway.

I'm looking to replace the factory skid plate on my 2012 WR450F.

I know I want a one piece that protects the cases, water-pump, etc. but I'm looking from experience what you all think the best materials (Plastic, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum) and brand is. I'm riding mostly single track tight wood w/rocks & logs.

Thanks for your responses & Merry Christmas...yup I said it.  ?

Get the one that you believe provides you the protection and coverage you want and feel is the best. I put a Works Connection on mine & I believe it has good coverage from rocks I might encounter where I ride. Good coverage on both sides, the bottom, and the front.

DSC_0025_zpsba51e9c0.jpg

2013WR450F_zps725d3da4.jpg

Edited by DRZ04
  • Like 2

You might try the Moose pro plastic skid plate.

Moose Racing is proud to introduce a skid plate like no other.

• Made from a flexible high-density polyethylene construction.
  • HDPE is an excellent material; a technical plastic which offers many characteristics to protect your bike.
  • 6 mm thick for maximum protection of the frame and cases.
  • Goes through a thermoforming process and welded.
  • 40% lighter than 4 mm aluminum.
  • No more vibrating or rattling.
  • Mounting hardware and installation instructions included.

I've got a solid aluminum plate--sure is noisy!

Is the plastic quieter or is it just a sound reflection thing?

They are quieter as they don't resonate the metal on metal noise generated from the aluminum skid plates. It's amazing how quiet they can become ?

I agree, mine is full coverage too...like this:

YAMC-450-LG.jpg

That's what I have, and it's not full coverage.

The whole back underside of the motor/frame rails are not covered. 

It stops coverage just past the crank.

My frame rails are noticably damaged.

It is the only problem with that plate.

SUMC-450%20Full%20coverage%20skid%20plat

For some reason it's only like that on the WR skid plate

On other models it has coverage all the way back

post-238995-14095418258409.jpg

Edited by Kah Ran Nee

I've got a solid aluminum plate--sure is noisy!

Is the plastic quieter or is it just a sound reflection thing?

I have the Ricochet on my 06. It was noisy until I sprayed the inside of the skid plate with under armor for autos. it deadened the vibration and cut down on the echo. The coverage was good too.

One thing, those captured nuts on the front of the frame, the two that hold the skid plate on, they're weak as Hell.  Be very careful about how tight you screw those bolts in.  Mine ('14) pulled right through the welded on brackets they were in.  I bought two of those automotive type spring nuts and a couple of matching 1/4"-20 bolts to put mine back on so no worries.  But if you can, take it easy on those or you'll have to do what I did.  Lol!

• Like 1

The Force Accessories alloy bashplates are very popular here. They aren't light, but the mass is carried very low and centrally, so you don't feel it. Use a small sheet of open cell foam between the plate and engine to cut down on resonance and mud buildup. Bombproof over rocks, logs and gravel. Also converts those three pesky bolts to a single allen-head bolt for removal. Pretty much the first mod most Aussies do, along with Barkbusters.