Go Pro Hero 3 Editing Software Issues! Please Help!

I have the Go Pro Hero 3 Silver Edition.

I recorded last ride at 720, 48fps, working on getting a final video that looks even remotely good on tablets or computers.

I'm using the Go Pro editing software and exporting to MP4, 720HD, 48fps, and tried a range from 8 to 22 on Bit rate.

All the videos suck completely, Blurry etc.

I have had great success with AVI conversion to full 1080HD, 48fps, medium setting and they look fantastic on Computer but won't play on Tablet Samsung.  They also are such large files for a 10 minute vid they are 8.8 gigs. Can't seem to upload them anywhere.

In conclusion I am looking for help as to which settings and speeds and such to use for a smaller file that can be uploaded to youtube etc.

Thank you!

Yes, what do you mean by blurry?

Big difference between software blurry (pixelated as mentioned above) or mechanical blurry from a defective or damaged lens/sensor.

Pixelated is what I mean. I just tried a sample at 1080hd, 60fps, 50 bit rate, mp4.

Video came out good and file is small enough to upload to devices. Still will not play on a tablet when the original files will play on it perfectly.

I have a similar problem with my youtube videos.

When I play the video from a file on my computers, the quality is excellent.  

When I play the same videos by accessing youtube.com, they videos are blurry and the focus moves around a lot. 

I have used both the editing program from GoPro and Microsoft Movie Maker (which was the easier of the two).

After the first video or two, I broke them into smaller 16 minute videos before uploading to youtube.

Does anyone have some tips that would help me produce videos that would play on youtube or another video server and give a good watching experience to the viewer?

Here is a couple of examples:

(On this one, the images are blurry. Viewing the video file directly, the images are razor sharp.)

(On this one, in addition to poor video quality, the borders are waving back and forth when I look at it on youtube.)

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Good Riding!

Jim

When you're done editing & about to export, there'll be an option to select output quality.

These programs generally default to 'YouTube compatible' videos.

Needless to say, very poor quality.

What the program does is basically reduce the size of the output file so that:

It finishes processing the video quickly.

Puts less pressure on the your computer processor.

Yields a smaller sized file that uploads to YouTube faster than a better quality iteration.

I personally select high quality output file type.

Also, shoot in at least 1080p (I.e: 1920x1080 resolution).

If you intend to slow down (slow motion) parts of you're video during post processing, you're better off shooting at 60fps (frames per second).

Gopro cameras default to 30fps.

(On this one, the images are blurry. Viewing the video file directly, the images are razor sharp.)

(On this one, in addition to poor video quality, the borders are waving back and forth when I look at it on youtube.)

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Good Riding!

Jim

so the first issue is just normal YT compression, I shoot at 1080 60FPS and render at a high constant bitrate. YT will always compress, my videos are the same way.

I don't think Vimeo compresses as much but if you are trying to market your channel viewership is definitely less

The second video posted definitely has the youtube stabilization effect added and that's why it looks strange. They kind of trick you, once your upload finishes 9 times out of 10 it will offer to stabilize the footage and it looks like that after applied.

Hope that helps

Thank you to both of you for your advice.

I'm not trying to market my channel; only trying to share riding experiences with friends.

I wonder how the crystal clear riding videos that I see on YT are prepared and set up to be able to look so good.

I will try the higher frame speed on the GoPro, and finish the clip in the higher resolution file size, instead of the YouTube setting.

I hope that you all get in plenty of good riding during the Christmas holiday period.

Jim

I appreciate the assistance from both of ya'll.   I'll try setting the GoPro to the higher frame rate, and edit my clips at the higher file size; and see how that works.

I see lots of good looking videos on YT, and am determined to create one of them myself.

I'm not selling anything, just trying to share good riding experiences with friends around the world.

Thanks again. I hope that ya'll get in a lot of good riding during the Christmas holidays.

Jim

Just remember when you load up to youtube all videos are compressed, and they set it at 360/480 and you have to change it yourself when watching.  Are you getting the option to use 720 when in youtube?  The enhancements in YT isnt going to do what you want. 

Dont forget YT measures you bandwidth and adjusts the play rate accordingly unless you manually set it.

Gopro.jpg

Edited by obgod3

• 3 years later...
On 12/13/2014 at 10:55 AM, Rock Monster said:

Pixelated is what I mean. I just tried a sample at 1080hd, 60fps, 50 bit rate, mp4.

Video came out good and file is small enough to upload to devices. Still will not play on a tablet when the original files will play on it perfectly.