85 XR 200

Hello everyone! Long time lurker and admirer of the site..

My first bike was an 85 XR 200r.. it smoked since I got it (burned oil) and had valvetrain (lessened by adjustment) and cam chain noise.

I ran it for a while... I would have to put oil in it after every ride. It got worse and worse.. to the point where it was literally spitting oil out of the muffler.

Needless to say it was in dire need of help. Now, I'm going through it doing a top end job.. and parts are incredibly hard to find.. and I'm stuck until I find a replacement cam chain. Mine is so stretched that I'm surprised it didn't break or jump teeth.

Anyway.. I'm not too familiar with the interchangeability of parts between hondas of different years.. but I know some exist.. So far I've found little about this bike's cam chain's specifics, but it seems to be similar to the 84-95 XR 250 cam chain? I'd love for someone to verify that everything is the same except for the length.. which i could shorten. Or if there is another option.. perhaps an aftermarket chain that I've been unable to find. The chain seems very heavy duty compared to others I've seen.. such as the 96+ XR250 chain which is tiny in comparison.

Also, the rocker arms are pretty badly worn down. I've been looking and can't find replacements for all of them. Yet, from pictures it seems like the 250 arms are identical. Does anyone know if this is true? 

Thanks in advance!

Albert

The 84-85 XR200R engine is not related to the two valve engines commonly discussed in this forum since it is a smaller displacement (smaller bore) version of the 84-85 XR250R engine.

To see what will interchange do a part fiche print out of the 200R and 250R and compare part numbers.

If you can't  get enough answers here you might try the Vintage or XR250-400 forum.

Some member do have knowledge of the RFVC engines and may be able to answer some of your quetions.

Before, you buy any parts look for a piston and rings. Also, either the head gasket or base gasket is no longer available. Ebay may help.  Here is a link to a site that sells cam chains and endless chain links that fit the cam chain. You will need to remove a link or two from the 1986~1987 XL250 cam chain to make a new chain for your motor. Use your old chain as to how many links you will need for the new one. There is a thread about a cam chain problem.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Honda_XL250_XR250_Cam_Chain__P17222C2597.cfm

Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, I saw that chain on ebay but it was ridiculously overpriced for me. I just got a 250 chain for 85-95 and I'm in the process of removing the extra length. 

As for the rockers, I'm still investigating.. 

The rings, BTW, in case anyone decides to bite the bullet, are special and do NOT interchange with the regular 200 rings. The rings on the 84-85 are thicker and slightly bigger overall. Thankfully my piston and rings are fine.. so I'm not dead in the water yet. 

My valves were almost 100% gone.. they had been work down to the last millimeter of metal.. they are so sharp you can cut yourself easily with them (the intake). I found replacements for the valves thankfully so that has been taken care of.

Hello everyone! Long time lurker and admirer of the site..

My first bike was an 85 XR 200r.. it smoked since I got it (burned oil) and had valvetrain (lessened by adjustment) and cam chain noise.

I ran it for a while... I would have to put oil in it after every ride. It got worse and worse.. to the point where it was literally spitting oil out of the muffler.

Needless to say it was in dire need of help. Now, I'm going through it doing a top end job.. and parts are incredibly hard to find.. and I'm stuck until I find a replacement cam chain. Mine is so stretched that I'm surprised it didn't break or jump teeth.

Anyway.. I'm not too familiar with the interchangeability of parts between hondas of different years.. but I know some exist.. So far I've found little about this bike's cam chain's specifics, but it seems to be similar to the 84-95 XR 250 cam chain? I'd love for someone to verify that everything is the same except for the length.. which i could shorten. Or if there is another option.. perhaps an aftermarket chain that I've been unable to find. The chain seems very heavy duty compared to others I've seen.. such as the 96+ XR250 chain which is tiny in comparison.

Also, the rocker arms are pretty badly worn down. I've been looking and can't find replacements for all of them. Yet, from pictures it seems like the 250 arms are identical. Does anyone know if this is true? 

Thanks in advance!

Albert

Albert,

I just recently did an entire top end rebuild on my 85 (less the cam chain as mine was fine). You can get valve seals off ebay no problem. All the rest of the parts I ordered from CMSNL.com   The company is based in the Netherlands. Not sure if the parts are OEM or copied, but I just bought all new gaskets, piston, rings, etc. from them and everything is running top notch. They answer all questions and ship pretty fast (took a little less than a week). Give them a look. I'm not sure how much help I'll be as I myself am still learning but can try and help if you have any questions

Great! I'm glad you were able to find parts. I hunted for a while and finally found the valves (I was in dire need of valves). I bought everything I could through partsfish, ebay, and the valves off amazon (??). I bought a 250 chain and shortened it.. The construction of the aftermarket chain is supposed to be stronger and definitely showed it when I had to take it apart. Now I'm just waiting on the gaskets to come in so I can put it all back together. Makes me wish I had the paperwork for this bike (long-lost).

Anybody got HP and torque numbers on it?