Klx300 mods

Lately I've been thinking about picking up a KLX300 as a winter project. I was just wondering what the necessary mods would be to do to this bike.

I ride mostly trail and enduro, so I like to have a decent snap with the throttle (I've heard these bikes don't have great throttle response) . I'm not to worried about suspension/ chassis mods, just engine and air flow really. As long as it can handle decently rough terrain I'll be happy.

I also don't want to spend anymore than $150 on parts, so I'm just looking at filters, head pipes and jet kits.

I'm 16, 5'8 and weigh 145 pounds. I still have a lot of growing to do so I'd like to make this bike to last me.

I ride at around 80ft elevation with an average temperature of 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit).

All replies are helpful, thanks in advance

• Like 1

Planetklx.org

Go to the free mods section.  That will tell you all you need to know.

You need to have the ACR retimed.  Brewster here can help with that.

And replace the idler pully.

Head pipe is $150.  Your budget is too low.  Any bike I buy I end up spending a bunch on. 

Given the the length of time these bikes have been around chances are you can purchase a used model with some of the upgrades already in place which would allow you to be more choosey on what else you want to do.  Free mods and  aftermarket exhaust and air filter are generally the first changes that are made. After that there are a number of upgrades for both engine and suspension to choose from. I would certainly get Brewster to do your cam retimeing and check the idler gear. If it needs replacing and you do your own work both these tasks can be accomplished within your $150 budget. You should have enough left over for a new tire if your new ride did not come with enough tread to do the job. After that plan on spending about $150 a year to keep it in top shape and trail ready pus a few more upgrades along the way.