94 kx250 shock linkage

What years interchange with a 94?

Recently picked up a 94 250 dirtcheap.  As a consequence of it's price I expected to find some surprises and here's my first - shock linkage bearings are shot.I can lift the rear wheel 1/2 inch before the linkage engages.  Definitely the frame mount.  Looked on the bay and it seems there are kits running $85ish bucks.  Also saw a bevy of used linkage units which state the bearing are nearly new or in good shape.  Now bear in mind I'm not doing a resto here - just looking for a cheap serviceable dirtbike.  I feel bad spending nearly half what I payed for the bike on a bearing kit.  OTOH, I also know a good bearing kit can be worth the price.

I'm leary of claims made on ebay regarding bearings, but hey - if I could buy a whole unit for $40 and the bearing kit alone cost $85 - I'm listening.  I have a very long Maine winter to  make this happen - so I can watch for a while.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I'm replying to one of you're topics for the second time tonight. Not because I'm a know it all, or a pro, but because I was in your same exact boat a year ago. I feel your pain, and I'm gonna give ya some more. I bought a beat up 97 kx 125 last March. I actually used to ride the bike when I was younger, and I'm a huge Carmichael fan, so when my buddy said he'd sell it to me for $400-$500 bucks,( can't remember now) I jumped on it and kicked it over. It started and ran. Not good, but ran. Like you, I planned on riding a bike that I grew up with for not much money. Throw a new top end in her and clean up the carb. Boy was I wrong. $1100 later(after the buy) I had a bike that was rideable. I skipped two important things, thinking I could get by till the following winter. The bottom end,(which felt great) and the front forks, (which felt great in my garage before it ran.) When I was all done, it looked great, and

sounded great. Then I rode it. The front forks were so bad that I couldn't even preload enough for a wheelie. (Kinda required on a 125) planned on rebuilding them a few weeks later, but before I got that far, I grenaded the motor. (At around ten hours run time) Guess what it was? Bottom end rod bearing made its way to the top. I guess what I'm saying is this isn't a cheap sport. The things I skipped bit me in the ass. You're last post was accurate. Take the money you saved, and throw it at it. You'll be glad ya did later on. The $300-$500 I skipped last winter is gonna cost me $1000-$2000 this year. ( yes, I'm going all out this time) You started in the right spot with this forum. Lots of help/knowledge/info. Jeekinz alone has a good answer for almost any reputable question asked. ( Among others). Keep at it, don't skip stuff, and you'll be happy. Good luck, and look forward to reading more on your project. Can't wait to start my "part 2"

• Like 1

Thanks for the input gents. I only rode the KX 1 time before the snow set in for the winter and was very impressed despite it's age and poor recent maintenance. So impressed that I'm thinking hard about selling the CRF250X and keeping the KX in it's place. As such, I'm planning more in the way of repair/maintenance than I had originally envisioned. I'll eventually (before spring) do a topend or at least check in on the existing components, but for now I've got brakes/suspension/bearings to think about.

I do realize I've got a great deal here, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about selling the CRF. Eventually, I'm thinking I may end up with $800 to $1K in this bike and that's OK.

Honestly can't wait to tear into those 94 forks and shock. I have new bushings/seals on the way and I'll try to mod what I have before resorting to goldvalves. I've done a couple sets of KX forks but they were 95s with the midvalves. Interested to see what the hardware looks like without and if I can make them as plush as the 95s. This will be my first shock teardown and I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by dukesilver

Bought my 99 KX250 for $500. Damn state took $142 to inspect it and issue a registration/ORV tabs for it. Bike had no title at purchase and now I get to wait THREE years before title comes. Yes, another fee. Bikes are cheap but restoration and registration isn't. HOWEVER! It's still much cheaper than buying a new even heavily discounted bike. Example: my 2014 Husqvarna WR300 which I paid $5500 OTD - is for sale now and highest offer is $3500 so far. I've dumped $1100 into its setup so far so we're talking a loss of $3000 in one year. Don't ever buy new bikes. 😢

If I hadn't of found this KX then I'd of not known any better and just motored about on my Husky. Damn Kawasaki. :foul:🙂

it is easy to spend money on these things I bought my 94kx250 for $1000 got to ride a month and had to tear down complete chassis all new bearings bushings had forks rebuilt and then grenade motor now am in $4000 not a resto just a good well ridden bike don't skimp on simple things will cost in end its easier when all apart instead of having to keep taking apart