XR 600R Considering selling. How much is it worth?

XR 600R.jpgI know this sounds like it should be in the classifieds but Im not committed to doing this.  Really just exploring my options with help from TT.  Considering selling my 2000 600R.  Low hours bike, very fresh. - bone stock with the exception of (1) tail light converted to brake light using original lens (2)bark busters, (3) XR's choke plate, (4) installed full open insulator boot (un-Californiaized) (5) opened top of air box, (6) 13 T counter sprocket.  Bike is in excellent condition.  Runs perfectly.   Considering selling street bike and XR and rolling over into a street bike - sticking to street riding.  It's one of those mid life crisis decision things.  Looking for opinions as to worth of the bike.

Any input appreciated.  Thanks

📎XR 600R.jpgI know this sounds like it should be in the classifieds but Im not committed to doing this.  Really just exploring my options with help from TT.  Considering selling my 2000 600R.  Low hours bike, very fresh. - bone stock with the exception of (1) tail light converted to brake light using original lens (2)bark busters, (3) XR's choke plate, (4) installed full open insulator boot (un-Californiaized) (5) opened top of air box, (6) 13 T counter sprocket.  Bike is in excellent condition.  Runs perfectly.   Considering selling street bike and XR and rolling over into a street bike - sticking to street riding.  It's one of those mid life crisis decision things.  Looking for opinions as to worth of the bike.

Any input appreciated.  Thanks

Considering the majority of the folks who sell their XR's regret it later and considering the likely low value of the bike for the market, have you thought about just keeping it and augmenting your stable?

Kelley Blue Book lists a 2000 XR600R in good condition at $985 trade in/$1525 retail, I'd keep it for that amount.

I've experienced the mid-life crisis myself, started in 2009 at 36 years old, I won't go into details but one can imagine...  Keep the bike...  The only reason I can see for not doing so is if you are so strapped for cash you need it for a trade but you will probably not get much....

It's all about perspective. I'm 20 years farther along in my midlife crisis than you but I still get excited about firing it up and slinging dirt and mud while climbing hills and crossing creeks here in TN. Nothing I know of requiring clothes is more fun. I don't ride as often as I did in the past due to work and grandkids. Most think I'm crazy because I'm still willing to pay the price of being slammed on the ground, living with bruises and contusions, or tumbling down rocky hills ass over teakettle all which still send my adrenaline through the roof.

I would never consider selling at those prices. Some one is going to have to want it bad to get it out of my hands. But occasionally I have these thoughts and wonder if I'm getting too old for such fooishness. Then I think Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I have ridden a couple of dualsports on it recently. That's why I converted the tail light to a brake light using the original lens. I just slap a plate on it, put a mirror on it and ride outlaw. Worked really well. But fatigue not too bad after 120 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a shame you don't live in Australia and want to sell it because I would buy it in a heartbeat haha. For the record theyre going from anywhere up to the $3000 aus mark here. Which is roughly about $2400 US. Just the other day I had a guy offer me 3500 for my 96 model XR600R and I havnt even finished putting it back together yet!

dual sport it and use it to run errands and strafe the dirt roads. I find I use my XR for running errands around town more than any other bike I own. 

Can't beat it for stop light to stop light antics, parking lot play etc. I put an XR's only rack on the back and it really is the perfect urban assault bike IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to thank you guys for bringing me back to my senses.  I'm keeping it.  Its far too clean and they are an endangered breed.  This thing still has Japanese air in the front tire.  I replaced the rear for a ride in december because I wanted sharper knobs.  I know I won't find another in this shape that hasn't been worked over. I gave 3 grand for it and don't regret it for a second.  I'm going to continue to ride trails on occasion at Loretta's and a few other places around here.  Hell, I get a lot of satisfaction from just looking at it in the garage.  My wife doesn't understand that but I bet most of you do.

Edited by 77taco370

I want to thank you guys for bringing me back to my senses. I'm keeping it. Its far too clean and they are an endangered breed. This thing still has Japanese air in the front tire. I replaced the rear for a ride in december because I wanted sharper knobs. I know I won't find another in this shape that hasn't been worked over. I gave 3 grand for it and don't regret it for a second. I'm going to continue to ride trails on occasion at Loretta's and a few other places around here. Hell, I get a lot of satisfaction from just looking at it in the garage. My wife doesn't understand that but I bet most of you do.

Ohh yea i know exactly how you feel. I love just watching her sleep in the garage. Looks so..... Peaceful just sitting there all quiet an stuff. Makes me wanna just go burn up the streets

That xr is in awesome shape. I came across a 88 xr600r in the classified the other day. Had a fresh rebuild in it asking $1200 obo. If it would have been plated...my xrl would have had some companionship in the basement. 👍 

• Like 1

I have probaly gone through a midlife crisis myself and am not aware of it. I have had around 30 bikes in my life...mostly crotch rockets. I am currently 48 and still love speed and acceleration. The one thing i have noticed is when i was young i feared nothing. I loved to street race. Anywhere...anytime. Now i am a lot more paranoid. Paranoid of the police taking away my license. I live out in the country, 25 miles from my job. I lose my license from speeding (zx9r), i lose my job, cannot pay my mortgage...lose my place ect.

But then again radar detectors were legal back in the day. I always had one mounted on my bike. Now they are not allowed. Maybe its not a midlife crisis/paranoia. Perhaps i need to run a radar detector and bring back the glory days of my youth once again?? 😉

I bought my 2000 XR600 in December 2013 for $2,000 and it was in really nice shape, the bike probably had maybe 100hrs on it max.   I think these bikes are one of the best bangs for the buck out there.  Fortunately mine was titled and plated which means I can ride it anywhere.  Sure I'd like to have a KTM 500, but I don't need it and it's hard to justify one when the XR will do 90% of what that bike will do for way less money and much less maintenance. 

Just took it out for a ride today:

15762156544_964e1c55fb_b.jpg

• Like 1

I bought my 2000 XR600 in December 2013 for $2,000 and it was in really nice shape, the bike probably had maybe 100hrs on it max. I think these bikes are one of the best bangs for the buck out there. Fortunately mine was titled and plated which means I can ride it anywhere. Sure I'd like to have a KTM 500, but I don't need it and it's hard to justify one when the XR will do 90% of what that bike will do for way less money and much less maintenance.

Just took it out for a ride today:

15762156544_964e1c55fb_b.jpg

Wow you lucky son of a gun. I paid 1800 for my 94' xr600r. But xrs are rare up here in michigan so they go for a premium even for old ones. I see mid 90s ones go for 2500-3000 on craigslist.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning All,

This is my first post after reading the forum for a long time.

Greetings to you all and virtual beers all round if I may.

@77Tacho ..... good decision sir, if I may elaborate.

I live in Mozambique and have been looking at an XR650L for some years. With no Tar roads or paved roads where I am it just seems like the right choice for me.

I don't have the opportunity to buy spares for this bike whenever I may need them, I really have to hatch a heck of a plan to get the basics such as a chain or sprockets. I trust the XR bikes for their reliability from experience growing up on a farm in Rhodesia and working on them in an apprenticeship as the first engine I was allowed to work on myself without supervision from my journeymen.

What I would give to be able to ride a bike like yours right now is probably prohibited in description on this forum or any other.

Let me tell you what I am looking at paying for the acquisition of a bike like yours - but with the possibility of it being completely screwed when I receive it as \I will not have a chance to look it over.........

And not being limited too the following:

$6000.00usd for the purchase of a 2012-2015 low mileage bike from South Africa.

$500.00usd for bank and transfer fee's to pay for the bike in SA Rand

$1000.00usd for clearing agent through borders - SA into Mozambique.

$2-2500.00usd for import duties into Mozambique.

$500-1000.00usd for registration and insurance.

$1000.00usd Transport from SA to Mozambique.

$500.00usd to make it a comfortable journey - without someone finding a problem with my paperwork and seizing the shipment etc

This will be a 6 month exercise for me once I have been able to save the necessary money to purchase said bike, if I am lucky.

My advice if I may ...... keep that bike my friend, look at it as often as you can and please please please - every time you have the opportunity to ride it - then ride it and ride it so that it gives you the biggest ever cheesey grin on your face and then think of me.

Take cover take care friend. Ride safe.

Axl

Thats before I put fuel in it in Tete