question before I spend my money(yz85)

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows what the problem this seller is talking about so that I know im not purchasing a money pit. the seller of the 2006 Yz85(stock) bike says that the kick start will start the bike up first time if you kick it slowly but wont work if you kick it really hard( I have texted them about the bike). this is what the post reads; "I have a all stock 06 yz85 runs grate new tires tube and wheel bearings and bar pad it's very fast. But kick start slips but alway catches and starts one kick 800 frim come get it...''      . + I got him to agree on 700 if  I go see it and it looks good.

Any help would be really appreciated

I had a similar problem on the YZ 85

If the engine runs fine once started. Check the kick starter with the motor off. If it feels funny or slips and catches

On mine the idler gear between the lick start lever shaft and the clutch Basket primary gear pushed the snap ring off the shaft and the gear would come off the shaft or miss the clutch gear when the kick start lever gear was engaging.

The fix was to remove the right side cover and pull the clutch. then with a very thin dremel wheel I cut a deeper snap ring groove and put it all back together with a new American Snapring (larger OD)

worked great never had a problem again,  cost me a cover gasket and a quart of oil.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows what the problem this seller is talking about so that I know im not purchasing a money pit. the seller of the 2006 Yz85(stock) bike says that the kick start will start the bike up first time if you kick it slowly but wont work if you kick it really hard( I have texted them about the bike). this is what the post reads; "I have a all stock 06 yz85 runs grate new tires tube and wheel bearings and bar pad it's very fast. But kick start slips but alway catches and starts one kick 800 frim come get it...''      . + I got him to agree on 700 if  I go see it and it looks good.

Any help would be really appreciated

I had a similar problem on the YZ 85

If the engine runs fine once started. Check the kick starter with the motor off. If it feels funny or slips and catches

On mine the idler gear between the lick start lever shaft and the clutch Basket primary gear pushed the snap ring off the shaft and the gear would come off the shaft or miss the clutch gear when the kick start lever gear was engaging.

The fix was to remove the right side cover and pull the clutch. then with a very thin dremel wheel I cut a deeper snap ring groove and put it all back together with a new American Snapring (larger OD)

worked great never had a problem again,  cost me a cover gasket and a quart of oil.

Good luck

Common issue with the snap ring getting weak and falling off, had it happen to our 02 and 05 YZ85's

I just replaced the snap ring with a new oe part, sounds like the repair GCannon did would hold up better. 

leaning the bike to the left would usually allow the gears to mesh well enough to get the bike started in a pinch.

no im just saying if i bought it and it was a money pit or i some how got really screwed over I could break even

If you bought it and it turned out to be a money pit and you sold it for what you bought it for you would be out whatever it costs you to figure it out its a money pit, you wouldn't break even.