Xr400 sprocket sizes

Hello everyone, just bought a 2004 xr400, enduro set up. Mostly going to be riding on road, but still want to be trail ready. First thing I noticed when riding bike is that I seem to be flying through the gears to get up to even 35 or 40 mph. Bike has the stock sprockets front and back, is there an easy swap one or the other to get a little more top end out of the bike? I'm guessing rear sprocket a little bigger is the way to go, just thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks and what people are using. I usually just ride around town, nothing over 40

Mph. Thanks

Hello everyone, just bought a 2004 xr400, enduro set up. Mostly going to be riding on road, but still want to be trail ready. First thing I noticed when riding bike is that I seem to be flying through the gears to get up to even 35 or 40 mph. Bike has the stock sprockets front and back, is there an easy swap one or the other to get a little more top end out of the bike? I'm guessing rear sprocket a little bigger is the way to go, just thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks and what people are using. I usually just ride around town, nothing over 40

Mph. Thanks

Hi mate, what size sprockets are you running? 

He says he's running stock, which should be 15/45.

My bike had a new chain and sprockets set when I bought it. It was 14/48.
I was flying through the gears as well, I got my bike primarily for road use, so I wanted to change this.
The easiest/cheapest way seemed to be to fit a 16t at the front.
Before, my bike's max comfortable cruise speed was 70km/h in low revs, 80km/h was doable but the bike was straining, and it would top out at 110-115km/h at insane revs ofcourse. After changing to the 16t front it pulls less when riding low revs, but now it's easier to downshift and give it the beans and it's still really fast. Cruising at 80km/h can now be done at really low revs, cruising at 100km/h is still do-able as well. Top speed is near 140km/h which is really nice. It does not rev nearly as high as it used to at top speed too. It still wheelies in second gear, not as aggressive as before but still. I think I'll stick to this gearing.

Before anyone asks, I use my XR for all purpose riding, so sometimes I will have to drive 80 or 100km/h speed limit roads, and when you nearly blow your engine up on those roads you just need a different gearing. I can cruise on the highway at 80-100 if I have to and the bike still drives great on small roads and off-road. So unless you spend most of your time on forest trails or in the mud, I can recommend this gearing or similar gearing. People have noted that a 16t front sprocket may not fit due to the case saver being in the way, I personally don't have one so I had no problems.

The front can be really easy to change.  Pick a sprocket for when you mostly will be riding roads, and one for when you will want to gear down for hard trails.  Switch out the bolts for the cover and the sprocket with allen head bolts, then just carry the allen wrench and other sprocket in your pack or put some velcro on it and velcro it inside your airbox.    Then in a matter of about 3-4 minutes, you can change out the sprocket, re-gearing your bike for the riding you are wanting to do.

• Like 2

The front can be really easy to change.  Pick a sprocket for when you mostly will be riding roads, and one for when you will want to gear down for hard trails.  Switch out the bolts for the cover and the sprocket with allen head bolts, then just carry the allen wrench and other sprocket in your pack or put some velcro on it and velcro it inside your airbox.    Then in a matter of about 3-4 minutes, you can change out the sprocket, re-gearing your bike for the riding you are wanting to do.

Absolutely!  

On my XR250, I change from a 12t to a 15t and it has a six speed.  

I don't leave the 12t on any longer than I need to as it wears the slider and strains the chain.

I made a custom case saver to accept the larger sprocket.  

Yeah with the 15t up front I feel like even at 45mph I'm running engine too high rev. If anything I will try to go up one to 16t front sprocket like previously suggested and see how that works. Thanks!

You're thinking backwards on this.

No way you're revving too high at 45 with a 15t front.

That is gearing guys use for road riding. and going to a bigger rear sprocket gears you DOWN.

Bigger sprocket front = more top speed and less low end

Bigger sprocket rear = just the opposite.

For the riding you are doing 14/45 would be perfect. 16t front is awful off road and loafing at 45mph.

Edited by MindBlower

• 4 years later...
11 hours ago, bikepsych said:

Where are you all finding a 16T front sprocket for a 98 XR400?

They're around, just have to do some searching.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/renthal-front-sprocket-p?v=3097

https://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-wheels-and-final-drive/sprockets/pro-taper-race-spec-mx-front-sprocket/p/63346?m=3082

https://www.xrsonly.com/pbi-front-countershaft-spocket-honda-trx400ex-xr400r

I use a Renthal 16t front, and stayed with the 45 on back. Top speed is 91mph with engine mods. Got 86 out of it when it was stock. It will cruise at 70mph all day long with no issues.

To install, just put the case saver over the chain/sprocket, and install them together. Easy Peasy.

Not only did it make it more comfortable on the highway, it spaced out the gears better for the trail as well. Much less shifting. Used to drive me crazy how quick it would run out of breath with 15/45.

For the tight trails, I haven't had to go back to the 15 yet. The XR4 loves to bog. Couldn't imagine going 14/45 like some dudes do.

$25 at Motosport. https://www.motosport.com/renthal-front-sprocket?selected_color=X001

On 6/30/2019 at 3:55 PM, Jack the Dogg said:

For the tight trails, I haven't had to go back to the 15 yet. The XR4 loves to bog. Couldn't imagine going 14/45 like some dudes do.

$25 at Motosport. https://www.motosport.com/renthal-front-sprocket?selected_color=X001

I keep a selection of 14, 15 and 16 on hand and a 48 out back. On really tight single track, the 14/48 turns this thing into a tractor, but I'm slow, old and short, so it helps. I run 15 for general off road and the 16 for commuting. 

• 1 year later...