Colorado riding season question from a Californian

So I have the opportunity to move from California closer to my family in CO. This will probably seem like a stupid question, but in CA we have restricted riding seasons. If you have a "green sticker" you can ride year round. If you have a "red sticker" you can only ride during certain months of the year. Which sticker you are issued depends on your bike and the year. Two stroke and motocross bikes are red sticker (which is the type of bike I currently own). It's some California emissions BS...

I have not seen anything like this for Colorado, is there any restricted riding season based on the type of bike you own?

Due to weather conditions, is winter rideable? If not, what is the "standard" riding schedule in CO?

Also a little feedback on where the good riding areas are around Denver would be nice. If I move out there my job and relatives are located in Littleton. I've heard of Rampart, is that place good? What about others?

Thanks everyone in advance!

Edited by TrackCage

There's nothing like the green/red sticker thing here so you'll be good to go with any bike at any time.  You'll get mixed opinions on Rampart, but I like it.  It's close and much better riding than most of the country has & I think we take it for granted.  It can be crowded, but I've found if you pick your times & trails carefully you can still get away from the masses.  It's still open & good riding as of now (Dec 12th).  Some years it's already snowed in at this point.  I figure we've got one more weekend there before another snow storm hits & we'll likely be done until spring.

Some of the highest areas (Taylor Park, etc.) have really short seasons.  Jul - Sept is pretty safe but outside of that it just depends on the current weather pattern.  Then areas like Buena Vista, Penrose Commons, Texas Creek, etc. at lower elevations are good for 8+ months/year.  If you like tracks you can do those year round, but that's just when I ski instead.  

Good luck with the decision!

What chancey said  ?

There are also other areas to ride not too far from Littleton... Rampart just seems to be the most well know and can therefore get pretty crowded.  Plenty of other options within an hours drive though.  There's almost always somewhere to ride year round here.  

This site will give you a taste of what's available but it's in no way comprehensive (imo) - http://staythetrail.org/maps/index.php      

Thanks guys for the replies so far. The link posted above seems to be a good resource as far as riding areas... just wanted to get 2 cents from the locals who really know where to go / not go. I should know more in the next couple weeks about whether this is seriously happening or not. Partially excited about the idea, but it's a lot to leave as well. I have family in both locations. Anyways, thanks for the feedback... keep it coming!

Track....you know what we do when the motorcycle riding season ends?.....we ride snowmobiles, ski, snowboard, repair our motorcycles etc.  Rampart is pretty good in early season and late season - not as hot and not many people there.  Once the high peaks start to melt, you will want to head up that way and leave the close in areas to others.

Colorado can be extremely variable on terrain, weather and snow.  We rode Rampart last year on Dec 1st and it was beautiful.  The next day it snowed and that was it for Rampart through end of April or early May 2014  This year we rode down at The Gulches (Longwater, Metberry and Hackett) on a beautiful 50 degree day on Dec 7th..not a cloud in the sky.  Number of people we saw that day = 1 Jeeper at the top of Hackett Gulch.  We saw not one other person or vehicle down there from 10 am to 430 pm (not even parked on the side of the forest service roads).  On October 26th we rode down at Marshall Pass and Monarch Crest (above treeline).  Same thing....nobody out there.  Saw two vehicles on Marshall Pass and zero people on trails during the entire day.

Lastly, not only do we not have that stupid red/green sticker bullshit, you can easily convert a dirt bike to plated bike.  I have converted WR450F, WR250F, KDX200, KX100, Husaberg FE450 just in the last several years.

In general, the standard riding schedule is April through October depending on weather and terrain with extensions depending on snow cover, drought, elevation, etc.  High country (which I define as areas approaching and above treeline is typically June - Sept. but as i noted above we rode the hi country on Oct 26th and hit very little snow above treeline.

Edited by SilvFx