New Bike Owner! 450X (Pics & Vids)

Name is Wes...if that wasn't obvious.  Thought I would share a couple pics of the new hog.  Anyone ride around Santa Barbara?  Pics attached are from Divide Peak OHV which was pretty rad and has some awesome views.  Came with a 450R pipe from the place the first owner bought it at so they must have been swapping these on when selling the R's with brand name mufflers.

We have here a low-hour 2007 Plated 🙂 CRF450X.  THE THING RIPS!  It's been 10 years practically since I was last really into riding and rocking a YZ125.  KX60,  YZ80, YZ125 > College > Couple jobs I hated > now I'm back!  I'm learning to harness her power pretty quickly. I'll link a few videos at the bottom, one I'm just totally stoked talking to the camera (myself? haha)

post-416350-0-95383900-1418443606.jpgpost-416350-0-44541800-1418441348.jpgpost-416350-0-14401000-1418441334.jpgpost-416350-0-67746900-1418441354.jpg

post-416350-0-19273900-1418441363.jpg

Got a tune up and the valves checked (hadn't moved) and the thing rides nice.  Clutch does feel a little grippy.  Still on knobbies right now (probably will go dual sport tire first then go for a supermoto-type full set for swapping street/dirt).  

Upgrades

-14 tooth front sprocket straight from Amazon it was easy to install and appeared to be official Renthal. Haven't checked speed yet but it's perfect for just around Santa Barbara and I don't even have my full moto license yet for freeway (rockin the permit),  I think maybe around 50mph at fairly low RPMs in 5th.  

Anyone have first upgrade suggestions? I know i can search and I will, but I appreciate any info you're willing to type.  You're burning more calories, I'm helping you! I kid, I kid.

Next in line that I want to do are:

Fork Gaurds-dat fade doh....smh

Muffler-It's LOOOUDD. I need to pay to get repacked or buy something else. FMF Q4?  Thoughts?

Keyed Ignition/Hidden Kill switch? Anyone done either?

Jets-Someone please help me cause I'm clueless.  I'm at sea level and it's practically 75 year round.  Not sure the elevation of Divide Peak OHV but that's the highest I'd be for the near future.

GPS-Trailtech I see a lot in forums?  Good?  I may just get a nice phone mount cause my phone can do quite a bit and is free, but having engine data would be so cool and I'd be curious about the RPMs and finding a sweet spot for cruising without damaging it too quickly.  Any suggestions here also?

Gas Tank - IMS 3.2?  I hate that it's clear color and makes the bike not match for jack...Any colored tanks available? I also was considering using a couple MSR fuel bottles in my backpack.

Videos  Poor angle beware!   Using a cheap Sony AS20 which I actually find impressive for $100 that I paid. Problem is the stock mounts it came with cannot be adjusted up or down like gopros, so I put it on my visor with the sticky thinking the angle was good but I have my head tilted downward more than I thought when riding.  $20 got me a gopro mount adapter for the sony, gopro side mount, and 6 extra sticky tabs for other crap I might wanna try.  I think it's still about $130 on amazon which I might even buy another at that price still.  The waterproof case also does fog up so I'll try antifog first but might just drill holes in it and say screw underwater use.

Poor angle beware! Make sure to up to 1080P(click youtube logo first to watch on their site)  These are all pointed at the ground sorta but I still posted em whatever.

Single track dead end on a hill, and the subsequent pain in the ass u-turn.

Loose rock almost got me:

Cool View

Some Berms heading back to the truck i borrowed from the pops

One more on a hill I found, this is where I turned and headed back since I wasn't with anyone else and just wanted to test out the bike on some dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHy79KdOP8&feature=youtu.be

IMG_20141206_113535864.jpg

IMG_20141206_113922753_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141206_115843630_HDR.jpg

PANO_20141206_113636.jpg

IMG_20141128_150103571.jpg

IMG_20141128_150114323.jpg

Edited by worldwidewes

That looks really clean for an 07 good find I cant comment on what mods etc as I've never owned a 450x but how is it on the road?

I'm looking for my first road reg'd dirt bike and I'm a big Honda fan, tried the crf250l not for me... The 450x sounds like it would be a good fit for what I need.

Edited by oldmanc

That looks really clean for an 07 good find I cant comment on what mods etc as I've never owned a 450x but how is it on the road?

I'm looking for my first road reg'd dirt bike and I'm a big Honda fan, tried the crf250l not for me... The 450x sounds like it would be a good fit for what I need.

Thanks for checking out my post!  On the road it definitely feels like the gears are very short, but larger front/smaller back sprockets help.  I just upped the front one tooth to 14 and that helped a lot with being able to lower my RPMs.  If you want to do freeway speeds you'll need to adjust quite a bit and I am very hesitant to hold it revved up very much for prolonged periods (just scared to break the thing and go into a huge money hole right after I got it).  I honestly try to keep it almost bogged when cruising just to add longevity and not attract attention with the loud pipe on there now. Being someone who's never owned a street-only bike I'd say it corners fantastically, and having all that power to shoot out of them is exhilarating for sure.

What I realized is that:

-This bike is tuned to perform at a very high level.  Meaning they crammed as much power in there with the least weight possible.

-Maintenance is needed WAY more often than a traditional street bike (oil change every 15 hours!)Reading these and other forums, I found that it's best to run 1 full quart in the tranny and monitor oil burn-up carefully when riding on street a lot

-While I thought I'd ride it to work every day, my honda accord has still been what I hop into some mornings when I just don't feel like the ruggedness of a dirt bike on pavement to work.  It's a pretty good conversation starter to say the least when I do take it out though! 🙂

-All this being said, there are tons of upgrades you can do to make it more street worthy and comfortable for prolonged rides.  If you maintain it well you can   However, being a true motocrosser at heart, I want to make this a fun cruise around town bike for a couple days a week with supermoto tires, then be able to swap out for dirt rubber and head to a track/desert/OHV spot.

Taking off from a stoplight and just pulling away hard is sooooooo much fun though.

I haven't really layed it down and whipped around corners that much yet as I am not usually wearing full gear cruising around town and the knobbies just don't have enough rubber hitting the ground so I don't feel very safe yet until I get a new tire.  I'm also certain that a less agressive dual sport tire would smooth out the ride quite a bit.

Edited by worldwidewes

Thanks for checking out my post! On the road it definitely feels like the gears are very short, but larger front/smaller back sprockets help. I just upped the front one tooth to 14 and that helped a lot with being able to lower my RPMs. If you want to do freeway speeds you'll need to adjust quite a bit and I am very hesitant to hold it revved up very much for prolonged periods (just scared to break the thing and go into a huge money hole right after I got it). I honestly try to keep it almost bogged when cruising just to add longevity and not attract attention with the loud pipe on there now.

Taking off from a stoplight and just pulling away hard is sooooooo much fun though.

I haven't really layed it down and whipped around corners that much yet as I am not usually wearing full gear cruising around town and the knobbies just don't have enough rubber hitting the ground so I don't feel very safe yet until I get a new tire.

This is what I was afraid off I would worry far to much about the engine being strained, but yours is pretty much in stock trim I'm sure ones you get some d.s/s.m tyres and get her setup more for the road your worries will go away.

Thanks for the info I wish Honda would just make a 450l !! Good look with your new bike.

This is what I was afraid off I would worry far to much about the engine being strained, but yours is pretty much in stock trim I'm sure ones you get some d.s/s.m tyres and get her setup more for the road your worries will go away.

Thanks for the info I wish Honda would just make a 450l !! Good look with your new bike.

No problem.  Be sure to post pics if you go for one!  UK huh?  Go Gunners!