XR650L Right Footpeg (curb feeler) footpeg modification search.

I have searched the world wide web and I am coming up blank. The right footpeg mount is way out from the bike. I would like to tuck it in without losing any height to the mount. I believe the mount is cast so modifying the original could be tricky. Also just cutting and welding the mount closer to the bike will cost some height to the mount. I am not planning on getting a kicker so I am not concerned with kicker clearance.
Has anyone seen a mod for the right footpeg? Thanks.

I would like to put in a hi comp piston (1st over). I don't want to have pinging issues, can some of you experts suggest the best piston for the job. I don't plan on changing the cam.

Thanks

I just looked at mine, and it looks like you could move it in nearly a whole inch without losing more than a quarter of an inch of height.

But the bigger question is why you feel the need to move the peg in closer.  Mine is fine right where Honda put it.

Scott, some of the single I ride has me smacking the peg on something, rock, stump, small puppy or whatever. Also the peg is so far out that keeping your leg against the frame so you can squeeze a little when needed is almost impossible. It is my opinion that Honda used that mount so a kicker could clear. I stand up allot when riding offroad and I am standing on the pivot of the peg and not the peg.

[/url]">http://http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/dave_frederick1/media/IMG_20141209_142730175_zps93d7667d.jpg.html'>IMG_20141209_142730175_zps93d7667d.jpg

why not remove it, cut an inch off, and have it welded. To assure the same angle, mark the exact position and tack weld it while on the bike,  then remove and finish the weld. 

I have 2 things that concern me modifying the stock mount.

1. I believe it is a cast part. I am not a welder or metallurgist, but I think that can be an issue.

2. The way the mount slopes upward, it appears that it would lose some height in shortening it, the only way I can think of. 

I am surprised that someone hasn't addressed this by now. I can understand it not being an issue for everyone, but surely someone besides me has noticed this curb feeler design. So before someone says it, I will.....if I could buy a truck and a XC, CRF or YZ I would. I know my bike is heavy and the suspension is old and flexxy. But dang, I have been surprised what the bike will do and even how quickly it can do it.  Thanks for the comments so far.

You are spot on about it's shape... it is the same s the mount on an XR600 and has to clear a kicker (I have a kicker on my XRL). You are also correct that welding a cast part never ends well. Not sure what your best solution might be. If you know someone with a CNC mil, you could have one drawn up in solid-works and carved out on the mil. That smells expensive though.

Is it just me or does the mount look like it has bent down from its normal arrangement? The second pick shows it better. You a big guy?

It's not just you, I have the same pegs, you can find them on E-Bay for $10-$20. You have to shim the right peg, I used aluminum flat stock with JB Weld to do this...

For the price, you can't beat them and I really like mine...

Is it just me or does the mount look like it has bent down from its normal arrangement? The second pick shows it better. You a big guy?

Nope, 172 wet. I ride it just like I have any woods bike, it's just a little heavy and has a tag. I do feel like it has drooped a little since I got it 2 years ago. Not big on jumps but it's gets air on fast jeep trails and the normal woods air.

if you know a good welder or metal man, take your bike in and get his opinion. maybe you'll learn something that will help you to make a determination. If it's gettin in your way, it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will post up whatever happens, working on getting a peg bracket to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input everyone. I will post up whatever happens, working on getting a peg bracket to work with.

The part isn't cast...at least cast iron (which is the tricky kind of cast to weld).  It is likely cast steel due to the complex 3D shape, or as mentioned above, forged steel, or possibly (less likely) even ductile iron.  Either way it is easy, safe, and just as strong as original to reshape with heat then weld.  

I just looked at mine and, because of the shape of the mount, the easiest way to modify it would be to first heat and bend the "vertical" leg to get it the distance from the engine case that you would like.  When that is done it can then be sectioned, beveled, and welded below the "horizontal" leg to lower it back down to the same elevation as the left side. The surface layer that currently protect the part from rusting will be gone where heated and welded so you'll need to either keep it painted or let it rust then use a rust converter (something like Ospho) to form a new phosphate layer to protect it.   

Any local shop should be able to handle it no problem.  If you can't find anyone locally, I'll do it for you if you have some down time and can ship it to me.      

Just got the mount back from the welder. The guy did a great job, I have no concerns of failure, Dude knows welding. I am happy with the results. I would have liked to go closer but was concerned about the peg folding up into the clutch cover in a crash. The cheepo pegs are temporary, I have ordered another set that may tuck in better. Thanks again for the input. 

I will give a ride report but since I was standing on the pivot point on the old mount the only change I expect will be the better platform. My foot / leg stays tucked in regardless of where the peg was.

OLD

IMG_20141209_142730175_zps93d7667d.jpg

New

efd47ef5-9366-40c6-a1e9-bb65a9ea3d6f_zps

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the mount back from the welder. The guy did a great job, I have no concerns of failure, Dude knows welding. I am happy with the results. I would have liked to go closer but was concerned about the peg folding up into the clutch cover in a crash. The cheepo pegs are temporary, I have ordered another set that may tuck in better. Thanks again for the input. 

I will give a ride report but since I was standing on the pivot point on the old mount the only change I expect will be the better platform. My foot / leg stays tucked in regardless of where the peg was.

Do you have a photo of where the peg mount was welded? I'm getting ready to do the same thing......

Have you got a chance to ride with it yet? How do you like it?

I did get a chance to ride and I think it's great. It is where the peg should have been placed to begin with. The cheap China footpegs are bendable, poorly constructed junk. Even just the way they mount has the peg sticking out an additional 1/2 to 1".

I believe the welder cut at the base of the mount. I asked him to tuck it in 1 1/2 inches without losing any height. I might have been able to go a little more but I have no complaints.

I will get a better pic of the mount and post it later.