14 XCW-power/susp mods or XCF?

I've got a 14 XCW w/ springs, euro map, bar switch, stock gearing, FMF Q4 system and the bike works great on just about everything except big deep sandy hills and motocross tracks w/ bigger uphill step ups and steep faced jumps. I've tried screaming in wild mode and torque-ing in stock mode and I'm always running out of beans on the hills. At the track, on bigger hits, I'm blowing thru the stroke and not quite getting the rebound/seat bounce I like. I ride w/ a friend w/ a 15 XCF, stockmap, FC suspension, FMF system & 12 oz flywheel, 51 rear, and have tried that a few times in both places. It crushes the hills and works better at the smoother jumpier tracks but is too much in the tight and the really harsh at rough tracks (think Glen Helen). I can push the W way faster and ride longer at both the track & in the trails, whereas the F wears me out quicker and can spook at times. 

I'm trying to find that happy medium where the bike can mostly do it all-work good at the track and offroad as I ride both equally. I'm thinking if I can just get a bit more XCF power and get the suspension working better at the track its worth keeping-or do I swap to an XCF and try to soften/tame it down to work better in tight and roughness? If so, what setup is a good staring point on either?

I have a 500exc. I swapped the OC forks for a set of CC forks, put on some billet triple clamps and worked the shock for a bit. Major improvement over stock. The motor does everything it needs, it's the trans that I have a hard time with in certain situations. A bit of mapping, maybe a exhaust could help with your issues of power...

Sounds like you bought the wrong bike to ride MX. You're not going to get what you want as far as suspension, gearing, weight with the XCW. Better option would be the XCF, I have 350, add lights if you need them and add a switchable programmer.

Sounds like a 350 xcf would be right up your alley

Forgot to tell you I'm 6-4, 230.

If I could just get a bit more boost out of the W, I could make it work. But I think I'm gonna have to go XCF & tame/soften it down for the tight & the hack.

Like Woodsweapon said, I'm 6'2" 225lb. XCF likes to be ridden fast. You're not going to find one bike that does everything equally. Maybe your best bet is keep the XCW for the trails and get an older SXF 450 or something similar for your track days.

I have a 2013 450XCF and it is an animal, loves pounding the track at high speed but not so nice getting technical and going slower in the woods. Been thinking of a flywheel weight to tame the beast. Had to add a fan and running non water based coolant.

oh and changed my sprockets. wouldnt trade it for the world, Good luck

I have a 2013 450XCF and it is an animal, loves pounding the track at high speed but not so nice getting technical and going slower in the woods. Been thinking of a flywheel weight to tame the beast. Had to add a fan and running non water based coolant.

oh and changed my sprockets. wouldnt trade it for the world, Good luck

What is your secondary drive set up? My bud has the same bike as yours + a fly wheel weight. Thing is still a complete monster. 

13:52 it helped and considering adding 2 teeth to the rear to 54. was considering the flywheel weight....does it up the bottom end and reduce flame out?

this bike is a beast without a doubt. I added a hour meter to be diligegent with my service intervals. also considering the 2tall kit as I am 6"5"+ tall. the plus with the XCF is the transmission,,, I haven't ridden this machine to anywhere it's potential.

• 1 month later...