Yamaha dt250 front-end swap

I have a 1976 yamaha dt 250 parts bike that I want to customize.A friend of mine has a seized 1975 yamaha tx500 I can get cheap.I want to use the front end on my 250.I have seen other dts online with xs650 front ends on them,but the top bearing sizes don't match.Do I have to cut the front end off the 500 and weld it on the 250?Or is there an easier solution?I need the front disk brakes because I want to put a rd 350 or 400 engine in the frame.

Edited by barleydog

Steering head bearings come in a variety of different sizes, you may find a couple that will work. 

Sometimes you need to have a couple spacers machined that fit your frame. You remove the bearing races from your frame, have one end the spacer machined to fit the frame and then have the other end machined to fit the bearing. Most people use standard trailer bearings in this case because they are available everywhere and usually cheap.YOU NEED TWO SPACERS TOP AND BOTTOM..

I would think that cutting the frame and welding on another steering head would be a last resort.

Edited by nsman

Yeah,I really don't want to change the steering head.I am a welder but that really would be a last resort.I am going to do some more research before I buy the tx500.If anyone has any idea what kind of bike has the best front end for my dt250,I am all ears.I want disk brakes and and a speedometer gear.

I am working on swapping the front end from an rt180 on my 74 dt250. Should have the parts in the next two weeks. Hoping to have disk brakes and a little better fork with out much work or money invested. Currently have about 150 in rt parts from eBay. Complete front end. I will let you know how it goes. Wanting brakes for a cc road trip this summer so i will make it work one way or another lol

Based on my eBay photo forensics and another forum here on thumpertalk, I have determined that a 90 or earlier rt front end could probably use the DT speedo drive (2 pronged) while 95 up (3 pronged) would need a speedo drive from it175 or wr200. 91-93 did not have a speedo provision in wheel. 94 doesn't seem to exist? I bought parts for 95 up including forks, trees, wheel, complete brakes, and it175 speedo drive. So far about $170. I will let you know how it all comes together!