Big guys / CR125R

Not sure if this topic has been brought up before, but I am looking to hear posts from big guys ( 220 and up ) on their experiences riding CR125R or other 125cc bikes. I am 245 pounds and am looking to get an 05-07 CR125. I am wondering if a 125 would be a good bike for someone like me who is not looking for a lot of power, but rather a really light bike that would be fun in the woods. If your not a big guy or a big guy that hasn't ridden a CR125 please don't throw down your two cents. Don't mean to be rude, just want to hear real opinions from big guys who rode 125cc bikes.

Yes there light and yes there nimble but they are a puke as far as Pick up and going and pulling a hill. I weigh around 200. I feel like ima blow my friends up when I'm riding it. For being a bigger guy I don't mine throwing the extra weight of the 250 4t around and that grunt never gets old. I love the 4 stroke because most of the ppl I ride with weigh in at a max of 150 and they all ride 125 2ts and I'm the Lone Ranger on the 250 4t. And I hold my on very well

• Like 1

Light weight is good. Real good. However the only 125s you should consider are the YZ125 or the Husky (Italian) CR125/WR125 or the actual KTM/Husky 125SX or TE125. The Italian Husky can be fitted up with a 177cc big bore kit. Other bike to consider is the KTM 200 (actually a 193cc) EXC or XCW. Other ones to think on include the YZ250F just because they're reliable but also lightweight. 

I'm 250 lbs and 6'2". For small bores I've Only ridden a 2000 YZ125 but did own a 2000 KTM 200EXC which was fine but I truly prefer 250 MXers and specifically the 1994-99 KX250 for woods riding. :blah:

Traditional MX oriented 125s have no torque or low end power. Horrible for fat guys riding gnarly single track littered with obstacles. 👎

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I have heard the CR125's have no bottom end which makes them not very ideal for the woods. Not sure what the fix for that would be. Seems like I have read lots of guys toss the Mikuni carb and replace them with a Kehein air striker or something along those lines. Maybe that helps the bottom end power issue? I am not sure. There is a guy in my area selling a CR125R with a 134 big bore kit installed. He says it's got a ton of bottom end now.

I like KTM's and I think Yamaha's are good bikes, but it seems like Honda CR125's are less expensive on the used bike market compared to the others. Also there are a bazillion aftermarket parts available and Honda parts prices seem cheaper. Is it just me or does that seem correct?

Edited by Pete.Felten

Thanks for the replies! I have heard the CR125's have no bottom end which makes them not very ideal for the woods. Not sure what the fix for that would be. Seems like I have read lots of guys toss the Mikuni carb and replace them with a Kehein air striker or something along those lines. Maybe that helps the bottom end power issue? I am not sure. There is a guy in my area selling a CR125R with a 134 big bore kit installed. He says it's got a ton of bottom end now.

I like KTM's and I think Yamaha's are good bikes, but it seems like Honda CR125's are less expensive on the used bike market compared to the others. Also there are a bazillion aftermarket parts available and Honda parts prices seem cheaper. Is it just me or does that seem correct?

If you go Honda get 97- or 05+ like you mentioned. Carb won't add low end really. It's porting ignition pipe etc. 09+ husky has motor and xlnt handling. Honda parts are cheap no doubt.

I am a big guy. currently 6'5' 260. I ride a CR250 now but a few years ago I road on my Borther in laws YZ125 and I was alot heavier...319lbs. It carried me around just fine, i felt bad for the suspension though. It hit hard with me on it. I love the Honda two strokes but I am not a fan of the CR125's they just didn't seem to have the power to move me around. The 250's have it and more. Now that I am lighter it may be a diffrent story. Anyway,If you are 240 a 125 should work for you just fine. Just make sure to adjust the suspension to match your riding style and weight. I am probably forgetting something...

Sorry about the rambled response. not enough coffee this morning.

I am a big guy. currently 6'5' 260. I ride a CR250 now but a few years ago I road on my Borther in laws YZ125 and I was alot heavier...319lbs. It carried me around just fine, i felt bad for the suspension though. It hit hard with me on it. I love the Honda two strokes but I am not a fan of the CR125's they just didn't seem to have the power to move me around. The 250's have it and more. Now that I am lighter it may be a diffrent story. Anyway,If you are 240 a 125 should work for you just fine. Just make sure to adjust the suspension to match your riding style and weight. I am probably forgetting something...

Sorry about the rambled response. not enough coffee this morning.

That's great info! Thanks for sharing.

I'm 6'3/210 and ride an '06 CRF250R and an '06 CR125, this is my first year on bikes after racing quads for years.

The 125 isn't as fast as the 250 but you can make it go as fast fairly easily, but the 125 hauls me around fine.. you just have to stay on the pipe. I got it mainly to improve my skillset faster and then I'll be trading it for a 05-07 CR250 in a year or two.

k, I'm not a big guy but I will put in my 2 cents.  I weight 170 and I have a 94 cr125 with a 144 big bore kit on it.  I had EG do the big bore kit and he did his "mo betta" porting on it.  All I can say is if you are 250 lbs, you are not going to like a 125 on trails.  I'm sure mine would do better in trail riding if it had a low/mid porting job on it but it still would be miserable in tight stuff and that is with me weighting almost 100 lbs lighter than you.  IMO, if you want a trail bike, get a 250, they only weight about 15 lbs more and have much more low end torque, especially if you sent the cylinder away and had it ported for more low/mid power. 

Edit: I have trail ridden my 125 and my son has trail ridden it, after last summers trail ride, we decided that he needed a 250 for trails.  The 125 is a blast on a track, but miserable on trails.

Edited by frdbtr
  • Like 1

I'm 190 before gear and only recently picked up a 125, just to get the seat time on a 2-stroke. I was riding a 450x, and in comparison the 125 is like a mountain bike. I think it's beautiful for trail riding, so easy to maneuver the really tight stuff. The only drawback I've run into not having the power for some hill climbs, but that could be made up for if I carried more speed into the climb. I did swap to a keihin pwk air striker after the first two rides out, that alone make a great impact on power delivery (at least on the bike I have).

Thanks for all the comments.  I am not planning to do much if any track riding unless it's a section of a GP race.  What I am hearing is hill climbs will be a problem with my weight.  Maybe the 05-07 CR250R is a better way to go like some have said.

Thanks for all the comments.  I am not planning to do much if any track riding unless it's a section of a GP race.  What I am hearing is hill climbs will be a problem with my weight.  Maybe the 05-07 CR250R is a better way to go like some have said.

I'll tell ya, if you get an unmolested 05-07 cr250, have the base shaved by .030" have the head cut for whatever fuel you want to run and put a Yamaha yz250 PWK carb on it with the TPS wired up and you will love that bike.  I love mine, will never trade it for anything.  I have guys who ride 450's who get on my 250 and are absolutely shocked at how good the power feels, and the handling is awesome.  Like I said above, the 250's have a dry weight of 216 lbs and the 125's are right at 200 so there is little weight difference but the power difference is totally worth the extra weight.

• Like 1

I'll tell ya, if you get an unmolested 05-07 cr250, have the base shaved by .030" have the head cut for whatever fuel you want to run and put a Yamaha yz250 PWK carb on it with the TPS wired up and you will love that bike. I love mine, will never trade it for anything. I have guys who ride 450's who get on my 250 and are absolutely shocked at how good the power feels, and the handling is awesome. Like I said above, the 250's have a dry weight of 216 lbs and the 125's are right at 200 so there is little weight difference but the power difference is totally worth the extra weight.

And what's 16 lbs to a guy that weighs more than the bike? Answer: nothing.

• Like 1

I'm 230lbs and own a 2001 cr125 and ride mostly trails and desert. obviously this bike along with any 125 was designed for a kid that weighs on average around 130-160lbs and not us big guys and because of that it IS harder for the bike to lug us around and adds strain on The bike. that being said I keep up with anyone and everyone that I have ever ridden with no matter The size of the bike. as long as you know how to ride and can become a master of the clutch and shifting and are not lazy you can ride the piss out of these bikes. the stock cr125 has little bottom end but screams on top. ride the bike hard and it can be one of the most fun bikes you will ever ride. have fun man and good luck.

I'm 230lbs and own a 2001 cr125 and ride mostly trails and desert. obviously this bike along with any 125 was designed for a kid that weighs on average around 130-160lbs and not us big guys and because of that it IS harder for the bike to lug us around and adds strain on The bike. that being said I keep up with anyone and everyone that I have ever ridden with no matter The size of the bike. as long as you know how to ride and can become a master of the clutch and shifting and are not lazy you can ride the piss out of these bikes. the stock cr125 has little bottom end but screams on top. ride the bike hard and it can be one of the most fun bikes you will ever ride. have fun man and good luck.

Pete.Felten said he wanted a really fun lightweight bike for the woods not desert. 

her is my .02 worth, i'am 214 lbs, and have a range of bikes. 250 smoker with all the bells carbs, 250 4 banger, 450r, and 2 CR 125's. out of all of them the 125 is my favorite. you want more power on the low end? put a FMF fatty pipe on it, and change the rear sprocket to a "54". Like someone said before if you can ride it on the pipe and learn how to use the clutch you can ride the piss out of these things.. Look at it this way, riding a 125 on the pipe is a whole lot fast than grunting a 250 2 stroke around. ( that is unless you can scream through the woods on the pipe on a 250). My other 125 is a experiment in the making. Iam going to rebuild it with the RM 125 piston and have Gorr shave the head to give it more compression on the low side. He said this was supposed to really change the power on the bottom, but let me tell you adding that 54 on the rear really helps open it up a lot faster. Just use that clutch before you hit a climb ,and hang on. now if you mess up in that climb, dismount and run beside it the rest of the way up a hill. good luck, and like they said the 125 will "FLY LIKE A BUTTERFLY AND STING LIKE A BEE"

• Like 2

Yea, not real sure what some of the guys are talking about here, but every once in a while my son and I will swap bikes (mines a 2013 KX250F and his an 02 Cr125R) and I'm a big guy at 240 pounds 6'2 and I immediately realize how fun those bikes are to ride. The 125 will do pretty much anything you need it to, pending it's running good and fresh. We just put a new piston kit in his after 2 years and that thing is fast! I think people get stuck in the hype that if you're over a certain weight, then you MUST ride a certain cc bike. I think that's just crap. I honestly think I wouldn't have any issues continuing to ride if the only thing I could ever ride again was a 125. They're just fun!

• Like 2