whats it worth 98 cr250

Ok well first off sorry for posting another what's it worth thread but I'm new to dirt market.I need some help deciding on the the price. It's a 98' cr250 100% bone stock. Cons are needs full plastics, chain, sprockets, slider, front brake caliper, pipe is cracked. Pros are it's got a fresh top end by a decent mechanic it runs good and it's actually really clean ,not one scratch on the frame.He wants $1000 flat.

00P0P_cKsGhKw5M9B_600x450.jpg

$1000. is on the high side with all it needs, I would offer $800. and go from there.

pipe will cost you 200. (depending on what you want), chain and sprockets close to 200. plastics are around 120. ish, then you need to find a brake caliper and a slider.

I would also factor in bearings, chances are they need replacing.

Edited by Excitable

I paid $1000.00 for my 97 but it didn't need all the work done to it. I replaced the seat and plastics to freshin it up and gave it a new rear tire, but I agree I would go with $800.00. You can probabaly get the pipe welded depending on how bad the crack is. I welded mine and saved a bunch of money. The plastics look ok in the picture minus the rear fender...it's hard to tell really.

It's hard to say. I paid $950 for my 98 CR250 when it was really worth about $1 per cc. You should be careful buying that bike, keep in mind a master cylinder is cheap but not that cheap. I'd offer the guy $500, and that bike's in way better condition than mine. Chances are it needs an entire bottom end.

When pricing any bike, look up the average retail and trade in (wholesale) value for the bike in question. That gives you a reasonable ball park range for a running machine in decent (it is never really 'mint'). If parts are trashed, dedduct the cost for similar replacement parts. Chains, sprockets, tires, plastics are maint. items. Just bacause they are new on a bike, does not bring the value up much, no more than say, seeing it just had a oil change or a cleaned air filter. The flip side being if the bike has visibly worn out parts, you can feel safe in assuming the inside is the same way. If someone has a nice bike, it is nice, inside and out. No one has a fresh engine but no front brakes.......

From your description, I'd start at $700 and deduct the parts cost (no labor) for what it needs to be decent, unbroken (not like new). To be honest, it sounds like a $400 bike.

I would expect more for a grand. I think any mechanically good 250 smoker is worth a grand.....this one isn't mechanically good, and unless you have a line on some cheap replacement parts, I'd look elsewhere.  Plastics and crap like that aren't necessary, and don't cost much anyway...but to ride, it's gotta be mechanically good.  This one has at least a few hundred dollars left to get it there.

• Like 1

When pricing any bike, look up the average retail and trade in (wholesale) value for the bike in question. That gives you a reasonable ball park range for a running machine in decent (it is never really 'mint'). If parts are trashed, dedduct the cost for similar replacement parts. Chains, sprockets, tires, plastics are maint. items. Just bacause they are new on a bike, does not bring the value up much, no more than say, seeing it just had a oil change or a cleaned air filter. The flip side being if the bike has visibly worn out parts, you can feel safe in assuming the inside is the same way. If someone has a nice bike, it is nice, inside and out. No one has a fresh engine but no front brakes.......

From your description, I'd start at $700 and deduct the parts cost (no labor) for what it needs to be decent, unbroken (not like new). To be honest, it sounds like a $400 bike.

I have to disagree with this valuation.  The market for these bikes are much higher than I've seen in any NADA or Blue Book valuation.  At least around here they are.

$400 is way low for a running bike IMO.  Granted this is semi neglected and I agree with that.  Maybe the guy is telling the truth and what he says is true.  I have to think if someone neglects easy stuff like plastics and sprockets and pipes they definitely haven't cracked the motor unless it had major failure.  If its a bike you want and you are prepared for the unknown I think $700-800 is probably ok.  But I think I'd pass and find something not as neglected....so come to think of it maybe your $400 price is correct advice because the guy would never take it and it would send this guy looking elsewhere!!!  LOL

• Like 1

Well I believe the top end was done as he has the proof and works at the shop the bike was brought to get the work done and was abandoned. They took out a lien and now it's up for sale.

Tell him to throw in a chain and set of sprockets and spring it properly for ya....then it's prolly worth a grand if the wheel bearings/head set, linkage, swingarm bearings are all in good shape.

Edited by Slackkinhard

If the title is clean and you can register it 800 seems fair. If everything on the bike is worn out then it may be a good idea to go lower or pass on the bike. 98 cr250 is supposed to be one of the best motors of any year. If the bike was in perfect shape cosmeticly and mechanically I would pay around 1800 or so.

• 4 weeks later...