Ok to buy a bike that has been sitting for a while?

I'm looking at a YZ250F that has been in storage for a few years, is there any reason I shouldn't consider buying it? It looks nice on the outside and runs ok, just not sure what internal problems such as corrosion that I might run into after I get it home and start riding it.

Depends on the storage location. Biggest risk of a machine in storage is rust on the big end of the crank. Unless you rebuilt it immediately, it is a gamble. It may not be apparent as a problem until after the engine has run a while and if rusted, the rust worn away.  The better the storage location, the less risk. If it was kept in a nice dry basement all the time, it probably is fine. If it was out in a shed, possibly not.

Actually, the ideal bike for most riders is one that's still fairly current technology but older and with low hours, ie; long storage. I have bought a lot of bikes like this and gotten them dirt cheap. This is because the value of a bike is based on the year rather than how worn it is.

William is spot on as usual, I wouldn't buy a bike that's been kept in a damp location whether it's got low run hours or not. Look for rust and corrosion on the bike and if it's been in the damp, you'll see evidence of that in the nooks and crannies.

Would $2000 be a fair price to pay for a 2008 YZ250F with low hours that has been in storage for a few years if it looks good?

You bet.

If it's actually in good shape that's a nice price.

My favorite really good buy is my 2005 CRF250R for $2100. It had a couple of scratches but only one ride on it. The guy couldn't handle it and stuck it in the garage for 7 years. It's been a great bike and I haven't done anything to it but the mandatory piston every 50 hours.