speedo calibrator

Hey guys, what's the deal with speedo calibrators? Obviously I know what purpose they serve but that's about it. Please fill me in. Do you need a new kit/dashboard, etc etc??? Are they hardware, or software?? I want one because I'm tired of guestimating my speed. Just like anything else with the beloved 250L, I'm sure there isn't a straightforward solution. What does the process involve? Thanks guys!!!  

perfect, seems like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm very mechanically-challenged but there seems to be a lot of instructional stuff offered at the link so I guess I'll just comb though it + see what starts to make sense. haha, I won't ask any further questions for now as I know there will be a response telling me to just read what they have on there. Thanks for the link gnath. 

• Like 1

perfect, seems like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm very mechanically-challenged but there seems to be a lot of instructional stuff offered at the link so I guess I'll just comb though it + see what starts to make sense. haha, I won't ask any further questions for now as I know there will be a response telling me to just read what they have on there. Thanks for the link gnath. 

you're welcome and it seems pretty straight forward and you can search youtube for instructional video too ....  👍

I had a ton of parts installed for me at once so I have not done it myself ... but have read all the info.

if you run 13/42 sprockets it is safe to assume -11.6% for your calibrating. and feel free to ask whatever you want. 

Edited by gnath9

I think I read somewhere that you need to lift the tank to get access to the plug you are after.  You DON'T, I managed to get to the plug, disconnect, reconnect the DRD plugs and even put one of the connectors back onto the clip on the frame, without moving the tank.

Try having a search... I'll have a quick look now.  There are pics somewhere on here of the connector you need 👍  

goat
its under the intake boot befor the throttle body
go to the left side rear of gas tankicon1.png where the side panel meets the tank ( remove left side panel)
theres a bunch of 4 wire harnes connectors with a black sleeve over them.
remove a few tie wraps to loosen the harnesses then disconnect the 4 connectors in the sleeve
let those drop our of the way and then you can access the speedo connector
its attached to a frame crossmember
just reach in with a finger and push down on the top of the connector and tug the harness to release
then connect up the DRD and reverse to button things up.

edit: you cant see the plug untill you move the black sleeve over the harness connectors

it worked for me, in ten minutes I was doneThank you! That was an EXCELLENT write up. Worked like a charm and was pretty easy after reading that.

EDIT: only thing I did different was I didn't undo the plugs in that big bundle in the sleeve. Once I removed the bundle from the tie that held them together, it was enough to hold out of way with left hand while right finger worked it's way in to undo. I have long fingers though, so that's probably why I was able to reach.

Above is from a thread  on DRDspeedo install from just searching DRD.  If I remember correctly, I attacked it from the right side of the bike (looking forward) Look for the blue connector, there is only one blue connector - that's what you are looking for. It's on a clip on a cross member of the frame, slide the connector off this clip then seperate.   

Edited by Snifflytooth
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, i'll give the instructions on their a good read hopefully tomorrow. I guess the real burning question is why the heck is it so off to begin with????? What is the freakin' thing synced with that it can't get right? My non-mechanical common sense is telling me that mucking with sprocket sizes + taller tires + other such things would disrupt the readings as you're messing with the dynamics of how long/quick things rotate + create movement – but it's bunk right out the bag at stock. 

goat

its under the intake boot befor the throttle body

go to the left side rear of gas tankicon1.png where the side panel meets the tank ( remove left side panel)

theres a bunch of 4 wire harnes connectors with a black sleeve over them.

remove a few tie wraps to loosen the harnesses then disconnect the 4 connectors in the sleeve

let those drop our of the way and then you can access the speedo connector

its attached to a frame crossmember

just reach in with a finger and push down on the top of the connector and tug the harness to release

then connect up the DRD and reverse to button things up.

edit: you cant see the plug untill you move the black sleeve over the harness connectors

it worked for me, in ten minutes I was doneThank you! That was an EXCELLENT write up. Worked like a charm and was pretty easy after reading that.

EDIT: only thing I did different was I didn't undo the plugs in that big bundle in the sleeve. Once I removed the bundle from the tie that held them together, it was enough to hold out of way with left hand while right finger worked it's way in to undo. I have long fingers though, so that's probably why I was able to reach.    

Above is from a thread  on DRDspeedo install from just searching DRD.  If I remember correctly, I attacked it from the right side of the bike (looking forward) Look for the blue connector, there is only one blue connector - that's what you are looking for. It's on a clip on a cross member of the frame, slide the connector off this clip then seperate.   

that is the best "how to" Ive ever read