First dirt bike for 14 year old

The fact that he has 0 riding exp makes me think that he doesn't know what a 230 is... :thinking:

The fact that he's on here coupled with the fact he already has a bike he's looking at (crf125) means, A. He has a good idea or B. He came here to learn. If he doesn't know what a crf230 is then how do you expect him to know what a cr/kx/yz/rm 125 is?

I think that the crf125 would be a little small. I think the crf150f would be a little better since its taller and you would get more use out of it. If you wanted a 2- smoker you could get an 85 since they are relatively cheap, and you would be bigger for the bike so the power band would be more controllable.

Yes I do, all he needs to do is shave the seat, put a fww on, have the sprockets changed, a throttle limit and just take it easy, I know of a women who had NO ridding experience and rode a stock 125 smoker and is still fine!

And does that women share the same learning curve on a motorcycle as the OP... Plus he's a new riding and doesn't want to probably do those mods before even being able to get on the bike. My guess is if he was recommended towards a crf125... He's probably going to be riding a trail, wants something cheap and has to do very little maintenance to. This is why I made the comment about the 230.... A trail friendly bike out of the box, that's learner friendly, with a lower seat height (as someone who's 5'3 probably does have a tall inseem) and almost bullet proof. Yes, you did get me I should have stated crf before the 230...which is a good bike probably one of the best to get into riding.

Ok to be honest, a 125 does seem a bit much for a total neewbie on the trails in stock form, maybe something like a 85 or ttr/crf 230 would be a better buy for him?

"The fact that he has 0 riding exp makes me think that he doesn't know what a 230 is... :thinking:" ....... Now your thinking!!!!! Although some 85's (cr/yz) have no power valve and can have more of a abrupt power band, they are still a viable choice. But it honestly all depends on the OP and what their ridding preferences are.

Yes 230's ttr/crf and as DHjames21 stated "I think that the crf125 would be a little small. I think the crf150f would be a little better since its taller and you would get more use out of it. If you wanted a 2- smoker you could get an 85 since they are relatively cheap, and you would be bigger for the bike so the power band would be more controllable." So there's also the 150f, ttr125l, ktm free ride if your down under(and mr. Money bags)? And 85's and kx100/rm100 those are bikes all aimed towards his height and experience...now when the OP chimes in on what kind of riding he would like to do then you can fine tailor it in your opinion what bikes would suit him don't matter once you include brand loyalties.