street legal in california

ive been asked a few times recently about what is needed to get dirt bikes plated in cal these days, I don't really like having to plate here when I want to live in Utah, where anything goes. this particular bike is '06 525 exc  and it has a frame tag that says off highway only, so im curious if anyone is still getting bikes legal.

As you probably know, it has been technically not legal to street plate dirt bikes in CA since January 31, 2004.  Many bikes have slipped through the cracks and occasionally some of these bikes have their plates recalled.  I have a number of friends with street plated '05 & '06 KTM's and they have not an issue.   However since DMV now requires proof of an on-road DOT sticker, it's getting harder to 'slip through the cracks'. 

The DMV requires proof of 'compliance with all state and federal epa restrictions'.

Without this sticker, you can get plated, but it's a fluke. You chances of being 'red flagged' now exist. This means you could lose you plate, and that turns the bike into red sticker (closed course) permanently.

It has nothing to do with DOT. That is handled in the inspection process.

There are several billion posts on the subject in the CA forum, of who did it, why they think they got away with it, what they did, etc.

Edited by Kah Ran Nee

Here, maybe this will help... you're better off selling your bike and buying a plated bike. Since you're not a licensed manufacturer, you'll be considered a home builder. The problem I see is your bike already has a VIN and is registered for off road. Not sure you can reverse that history...

Custom builders typically buy VINs from salvaged vehicles and start from scratch..

http://www.rqriley.com/license.htm

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

Edited by C6 DNA

The old days of putting on a Baja kit on a dirt bike and getting a license plate in California are long gone.  I agree with C6 DNA, you're better off finding a bike that slipped through the system that has a license plate.

This still runs the risk of getting the plate pulled later on if/when they catch it.  Best bet is to sell your 06 and get an 07.  Exact same bike but came street legal from the factory (so yes it has the required 50 state sticker).  A 2007 450EXC would also work since the only difference between that and the 525 is the jug/piston.  You're gonna pay for it though as 2007 is the only year of the RFS engine + factory street legal combo.  People tend to hang onto them.

Edited by wallrat

I recently plated my 04 WR450F.  I went to DMV 5 five times and kept asking what do I do next?  They finally gave me a plate.  However, I know I will be looking over my shoulder. California DMV and the CARB laws are the most stupid ever invented.

Right... new leader to do what? Have you seen our demographics in California lately?

I've been here 58 years.. it will never be what it was in the 50s, 60s, 70s or 80s.

Edited by C6 DNA

Vote in new leaders

This is all brought on by CARB, which is the militant left arm of the EPA.  Both organizations are bat-shit crazy and totally driven by trying to increase their own revenues under the guise of 'protecting the environment'.  In short, there isn't a more twisted and corrupt branch of government.  Sad thing is, they get full support by the overwhelmingly liberal population in Ca who will vote for anything that says 'environment' without bothering to read the fine print.

I'm currently plating my 05 ktm 525sx and this is what I was told to do. Get your headlight/tail light inspection done at your local shop then go to them dmv and get it passed through and even if they say no ask for a paper saying so and then take it to my local registration place and there taking care of it from there. I've done it on my drz400 and my xr650r and haven't had any issues when pulled over or at the desert

I'm currently plating my 05 ktm 525sx and this is what I was told to do. Get your headlight/tail light inspection done at your local shop then go to them dmv and get it passed through and even if they say no ask for a paper saying so and then take it to my local registration place and there taking care of it from there. I've done it on my drz400 and my xr650r and haven't had any issues when pulled over or at the desert

Ask the DMV for paperwork saying they declined your request?