Cr500 no power on bottom and mid

I just rebuilt a cr500 from the bottom up and i installed a 97 cr250 stator, cdi, and ignition to help it rev faster and start easier. I have broke it properly, but i have noticed it smokes a lot and I really have to twist the throttle to get it to open up. Once it is revved up it runs fine. Any ideas? 

I just rebuilt a cr500 from the bottom up and i installed a 97 cr250 stator, cdi, and ignition to help it rev faster and start easier. I have broke it properly, but i have noticed it smokes a lot and I really have to twist the throttle to get it to open up. Once it is revved up it runs fine. Any ideas?

you need to find the proper CDI immediately
  • Like 1

I would hit up some of the cr500 forms to search or ask for an answer. I tend to agree with the other post in finding a cr500 electrical system, but if can get this newer stuff to work properly then run with it. Also did you do a leak down test (mostly this one) and compression test after the rebuild to confirm you rebuilt it right? I would start with that first, especially since the electricals are pretty much plug in, and if others have had success then it might be something else.

Chris

Cr250 ignition is a well known, time and money well spent mod for the adverage cr500 owner, myself included, so thats not the issue. Tell us a little more about your set up. for example what is your jetting, altitude, and temp to start with. And a leak down should be done. 

Edited by DirtyBurd
  • Like 1

Cr250 ignition is a well known, time and money well spent mod for the adverage cr500 owner, myself included, so thats not the issue. Tell us a little more about your set up. for example what is your jetting, altitude, and temp to start with. And a leak down should be done. 

The carb is jetted correct I had the local Honda dealership do the tuning on it. I run 40:1 with 93 gas. I have not done a compression test I will give that a try thanks. 

I would hit up some of the cr500 forms to search or ask for an answer. I tend to agree with the other post in finding a cr500 electrical system, but if can get this newer stuff to work properly then run with it. Also did you do a leak down test (mostly this one) and compression test after the rebuild to confirm you rebuilt it right? I would start with that first, especially since the electricals are pretty much plug in, and if others have had success then it might be something else.

Chris

If it was not rebuilt right and was leaking pressure would it not make it run more lean, mine seems to be smoking way to much at 40:1 oil to gas ratio. 

you need to find the proper CDI immediately

don't listen to that comic...

I do run a 97cr250 ignition on my 500 no problem, I would not trust a shop to set up my carb so I would consider going through it making notes like what size slide is in it what needle in what clip position what main and what pilot? are you still fooling with a pj carb? if so find your self a pwk air stryker or 39mm.

how much have you run the motor and has the trany fluid droped? I'd consider if the exhast smells like cat piss the  bike is sucking gear oil into the motor

• Like 1

It is my understanding that many people had to lean out the pilot/ needle straight section after doing the 250 ignition swap.  This has something to do with the timing changes.  I have yet to do the swap myself but have read plenty about the bottom end being a bit softer with the 250 ignition but the starting/ lighter flywheel/ top end power making it worth it. 

hahahhahhah they probly put their best mechanic on it, which is likely a 16yo high school kid who doesnt even know which way to put his underwear on yet. might want to get a second opinion from a reputable shop. or learn to tune it yourself

I agree with Harry (surprise, surprise).  Dealership mechanics may or may not have a clue on how to jet a 2 stroke.  Most of the B level mechanics at dealerships are really good at following a service manual and getting jobs done faster than what the shop bills the cust.  Not sure I would take their jetting as gospel though.

• Like 1

You can gain/loose low end by adjusting the stator position as well.......

The CR250 ignition does hurt low end, at least the 2000/2001 set up did, just pay attention when she gets near the sweet spot!

What piston are you running? I hope it's not a Pro-X.

What's the deal with the Pro-X?