Handlebars

Risers definately work and I have them on 2 bikes.  They aid in transition from seated to standing, and for a tall person, the higher bars are more comfortable and easier on the wrists, back,  and shoulders. 

There are several options:

You can go with Black Universal Bar Clamp Riser Taper Handlebar Dirt Bike ATV Quad 7/8" 1 1/8" and use a Pro Taper bar that way.  Works well, I have them on the 05 WR.

Another choice is ROX SPEED FX Pivot Bar Risers 2" x 7/8" Clamp/Bar.  I have not used these, but I've seen them installed on a street bike with dirt bars, looked sharp and I talked to the owner and he said they were solid, worked, and had no problems.

Then you can choose the traditional risers for 7/8" bars.  Universal bar risers crf kxf yzf rmz 250 450 250f 450f  I have these on my 03 YZ250F.  They are adjustable with different blocks that you can stack on top of eachother to raise the bars.  Work well.

Then you can go the high dollar route and get a whole top tripple clamp with a higher bar mount.  Usually those are for 1  1/8" bars.

• Like 1

I'n not even remotely tall but my back gets sore when I sit so I worked to make my bikes feel totally natural in the standing position. 30mm bar risers, a triple clamp with multiple mountings set in a forward position and Mini High bars in the plus 1 1/2 rotation setting. The disadvantage to this is that you don't get enough weight on the front and and it gets vague feeling. Still WAY better than being hunched over, out of position and rolling your wrists on hard decel and descents.

The setup I have now is actually too high and I'm slowly moving things rearward and lower to find just the right spot. That part is easy, it's getting stuff high and forward that can be a little expensive. 

For the last ride I moved the risers to the center mounting position (of three). It made the steering a lot more neutral at low speed and easier to saw back and forth in the ruts. For the next ride I'll keep the 30mm risers but swap in a lower bar still in the plus 1 1/2 position and see how it feels. I'd like to have it as low as I can tolerate but I'm willing to give up a little handling if needed to keep my spine happy.

I'n not even remotely tall but my back gets sore when I sit so I worked to make my bikes feel totally natural in the standing position. 30mm bar risers, a triple clamp with multiple mountings set in a forward position and Mini High bars in the plus 1 1/2 rotation setting. The disadvantage to this is that you don't get enough weight on the front and and it gets vague feeling. Still WAY better than being hunched over, out of position and rolling your wrists on hard decel and descents.

The setup I have now is actually too high and I'm slowly moving things rearward and lower to find just the right spot. That part is easy, it's getting stuff high and forward that can be a little expensive.

For the last ride I moved the risers to the center mounting position (of three). It made the steering a lot more neutral at low speed and easier to saw back and forth in the ruts. For the next ride I'll keep the 30mm risers but swap in a lower bar still in the plus 1 1/2 position and see how it feels. I'd like to have it as low as I can tolerate but I'm willing to give up a little handling if needed to keep my spine happy.

Sounds good to me, still trying to absorb it sandlvr69!
  • Like 1

Install an aftermarket used top triple clamp to get your bars fwd and up higher and fatter = stronger and more comfortable.

You might also consider some genuine Yam lower 5XC footpegs. This thread explains: https://thumpertalk.com/topic/790113-oem-foot-peg-options-for-your-yz-footpeg-footpegs-pegs/ = stronger and more comfortable

Edited by Swappa

GMill,

Let's back up here. How tall are you? I'm assuming that you're taller than the typical 5'9"ish rider. If you are taller, like 6', then you may also want a straighter bar too. Risers with a bar with too much pullback isn't the full answer. That said, for a 6 ft rider, try a bar with about 100mm rise and 54mm pullback.

Something also to consider, is a taller seat. Those older steel frame YZFs had hard low seats.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BazookaJoe
  • Like 1

ProTaper top clamp may help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YZ250F-YAMAHA-2004-YZ-250F-04-LOT-B-TRIPLE-CLAMP-PRO-TAPER-UPPER-/300982415506?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4613f33092&vxp=mtr

This suggestion may not give you as many height options as other brands because the bar mounts are specific to Pro Taper.