Sony Action Cam

Has anyone tried the new sony action cam? If so what are your thoughts? I have a Go Pro Hero 2 but have been considering trying the Sony action cam.

I tried a sony action cam once, I now have a go pro hero3 plus and like it a lot more.

Again, only tried the action cam once, but IMO there is a reason GoPro is the leader in that space.

so, what specifically didn't you like about the ActionCam compared to the GoPro Hero3 ?

Video quality, shape, the case (gopro case is MUCH better), overall product quality. It just felt cheap in your hands. The gopro just feels like a quality unit and so far i have no complaints. The quality of raw gopro footage is insane, unfortunately once you upload it loses most of its quality, but 1080p playback is still amazing for a camera of that size.

Plus, I love the fact gopro has bluetooth/wifi so while i'm riding/at the track I can synch it to my phone and watch my videos wirelessly on my phone and view in real time through the gopro app.

They are the leaders in the industry for a reason. Wish I had more details on the action cam, you should have someone else who is familiar with it weigh in. I'm probably missing a bunch of features/advantages.

In order to not sound like such a fanboy, the struggle is real with the gopro battery life.

I do have a ActionCam. I liket it because it has better battery life and image stabilization. you can't get RAW out of it, but the video quality is pretty good before you upload it. I like the format factor better, since I can mount it  on the side of my helmet. I always felt that the go pro stick out too much for helmet mounting during tight enduros. I don't have any experience with the hero 3, but that besides the form factor and battery life it is probably a better/more advanced camera. I'm still waiting for something with longer battery life, like 5-6hrs and 1080p60....

• 3 weeks later...

I do have a ActionCam. I liket it because it has better battery life and image stabilization. you can't get RAW out of it, but the video quality is pretty good before you upload it. I like the format factor better, since I can mount it on the side of my helmet. I always felt that the go pro stick out too much for helmet mounting during tight enduros. I don't have any experience with the hero 3, but that besides the form factor and battery life it is probably a better/more advanced camera. I'm still waiting for something with longer battery life, like 5-6hrs and 1080p60....

Do you have any of your videos on youtube using the sony? Which model do you have? I am interested in the HDR-AS100V.

Do you have any of your videos on youtube using the sony? Which model do you have? I am interested in the HDR-AS100V.

most of the motorcycle vids on my youtube channel are with the Sony. just search for "cynicwanderer". however, youtube really screws up videos. I think you have to pay them money for them to do a better job at recoding it.

haven't used the sony but did a lot of research before getting the gopro black 4. most of the very detailed reviews usually put the gopro just head of the sony (e.g. the gizmodo review here). 

if it works well that optical image stabilization on the sony would be a big drawcard as the gopro gets very choppy when riding over rocks and gnarly terrain which we are doing a lot of now, but i've been trying to compensate by soaking up as much of the bumps with the knees as possible when filming. i reviewed my gopro black 4 here if you are looking at that model. 

there are so many factors involved with getting footage to look good on youtube that i'm not sure if you could judge the sony by some lousy examples of quality online. in reality the in depth tests show the gorpo edges the sony out on video quality but there's not all that much in it.

haven't used the sony but did a lot of research before getting the gopro black 4. most of the very detailed reviews usually put the gopro just head of the sony (e.g. the gizmodo review here). 

if it works well that optical image stabilization on the sony would be a big drawcard as the gopro gets very choppy when riding over rocks and gnarly terrain which we are doing a lot of now, but i've been trying to compensate by soaking up as much of the bumps with the knees as possible when filming. i reviewed my gopro black 4 here if you are looking at that model. 

there are so many factors involved with getting footage to look good on youtube that i'm not sure if you could judge the sony by some lousy examples of quality online. in reality the in depth tests show the gorpo edges the sony out on video quality but there's not all that much in it.

yes, posting video to youtube is a problem. they will decode your video, and then re-code it for the various formats they support. this is a lossy process and since they don't have infinite CPU resources for the re-coding, they will only do the minimum for "free" accounts. if you are serious (like commercial or promoter) you need to get their "pro" or whatever package, and upload the video in a format that is not as deeply compressed, in order to have better results when they re-code it. I don't think gopros fair much better in this process, but if you compare your own video against some from a commercial provider, there is quite a difference in playback quality.

• 1 year later...

I have the Sony HDR 1000V. Mounted under my visor. Image quality is awesome. I record 1080 60fps. 60 bit rate. It has higher bit rates. Judging video cameras, by watching YouTube does not tell the story. YouTube compresses uploaded video.

My video quality, is way better than the uploaded compressed video. Many don't have the internet bandwidth to play the video at 720hd,1080hd or above.

I do not care to watch chest view for more than 30 seconds, but used as cutaways, for short segments, that can be very good.

Hate the visor in the frame or the side of the helmet. I ride off road, limbs, brush, car wash sections, the camera mounted on top or the side just catches...

Sony has in camera image stabilization. It works very well. One can flip the video, this allows you to mount the camera upside down. Easy access to the on/off button. I can see the record light. No need to ask if I am recording. I have my camera set to take a still photo when I turn the camera on. Makes it easy to get shot, when you don't have the time to pull your still camera out.

I do not care for the fisheye distortion, GoPro has. While this makes some side hills, look far steeper...

Two batteries will record a six hour ride. I carry two batteries and a spare 64gb card.

https://youtu.be/rnhiJc1MUY4

I used the Contour HD camera prior to the Sony. Switched to the Sony, in March 2015.