Getting my son into riding

Hey everybody, my son will turn 9 in a few days and has very little riding experience on bikes. He has been on quads and only a few times on one of those Chinese jobs with auto clutch and 3 speed. My brother has bought a 99 kx 60 and wants to give it to my son. I have been riding since i was 3yrs, but never on a bike in this class. At his age i was already on a kx 80. My concern is it being his first bike and having a manual clutch and 2 stroke. Physically he's a little large on the bike. I have no doubt about being able to teach him to ride just wanting to get thoughts about the power bands and info on a 60 cc class bike as a beginner bike.

Red ones. Always the red ones. But in reality a 60 will go! May scare him. You might try him out on like a Honda xr80 first until he's comfortable. That 60 will really go.

+1  My son started on a 2002 Honda XR80 when he was 8 years old.  The bike was perfect for him to learn on.  I think a KX60 could be a bit much for a new rider.

Totally depends on the situation. If a kid has an open area to play on he'd be just fine. If it's congested or stressful it might be harder for him to get comfortable on a zippy bike.

Kids who learn on the family farm vs. a 2 hour drive to an MX track is a good example. If it's not an optimal riding area, less bike is easier for a little kid.