89 cr 250 kick start turning back when engine running

Bought a cheap 89 cr 250 a few weeks back and im pretty happy with it ,kickstart doesnt slip and goes most the way back up on the spring  but when engines running it wants to turn back all the time ,you can pull it forward with your hand but it goes back again

Im gune take off the side plate as i think maybe its been put back together wrong but what am i looking for ?

thanks

Bought a cheap 89 cr 250 a few weeks back and im pretty happy with it ,kickstart doesnt slip and goes most the way back up on the spring  but when engines running it wants to turn back all the time ,you can pull it forward with your hand but it goes back again

Im gune take off the side plate as i think maybe its been put back together wrong but what am i looking for ?

thanks

Remove the single 8mm bolt and pull the kickstart arm off.  Unscrew the Philips head screw and separate the arm from the knuckle.  You should find a spring and ball bearing.  I'm guessing the spring is broken or missing.  You'll

need a new one from Honda.  If the spring and ball are there and in good shape, then the arm is worn and will have to be welded and reshaped.

As far as the internal return spring, you'll need to pull the Right side case cover to get to it.  On an '89, there's a good chance it's worn out too.  Depending on how well the bike was cared for, there are probably lot's of things that

are worn out - it's a 25 year old dirt bike. 

When I buy any used MXer, the first thing I do is tear it down and rebuild it.  That's the only way you'll know what you are dealing with.  It's also a god way to avoid the occasional catastophic failures that will really drain your wallet.

dogger