Yet again another meniscus question

i once again find myself having to make a life altering decision...was hurt last December at my last local sanctioned harescramble of the year in December...tore my ACL, medial meniscus, and lateral meniscus...lateral was slightly removed while thankfully the medial was repaired...went through all rehab that was associated with doing a patellar tendon bone graft for an ACL and made a full recovery...now a full year later and another year of racing almost in the books, the last race approached from when I initially was injured a year prior...to make a long story short I had something to prove to myself...to go race the race and PUT the fear behind me of getting hurt again...it couldn't happen twice at the same track the same weekend a year later...WRONG!!!...I tried to hop a large log foot came off peg mid air landed and twist went the old same damn knee....I knew I did something wrong...mri results showed a partial lateral minuscus tear along with a large bucket handle tear in the medial meniscus...same doc said that this time he would maybe have a 20% chance of trying a repair...he said when he gets in there if it is in a "non-vascular part of the knee" then he will have to remove it...which scares the hell out of me as I watched my father to through several knee surgeries growing up form racing...and had a to have total knee replacement done in his early 40's and he's a mess and the the joint didn't even hold up 6 years...my question for Dr. Mark or anyone is why can't it be repaired? Even if it isn't vascular why couldn't it be stitched together...I remeber reading this from another thread...."The removal of a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus has been around for forty years, and will probably stay around another forty years. It has been shown that osteoarthritis of the knee is inevitable after this procedure. I have stopped doing this procedure in about 2005 and choose to suture the meniscus back in place. The chance of arthritis after this procedure is considerably lessened".....Dr.Mark please help!! Thankyou!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks motohead for posting so much info about your condition and recovery. I've read all your stuff and find it very informative.

I tore my meniscus a little over a week ago and it's been an ordeal. X-rays show the knee is bone on bone and full of arthritis. The doc says repairing the meniscus is not an option because of the widespread arthritis. It seems I'm looking at knee replacement.

I had a question for you or anyone with knowledge about the meniscus. Is is normal that the injured knee will move one way and then when you move it back the other way it sort of locks up and you get this stabbing pain inside the joint?

Is it possible that the meniscus might heal itself? The knee seems to be changing how it feels and what it does as the days go by. I guess I'm hoping someone can explain these healing processes at least to some extent.

If someone has arthritis, its a waste of breath to even spend a second thinking about the meniscus.  By definition it is been squeezed to death and is probably not a pain generator.

Simply put, arthritis is the trump card.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirtcrawler- man I'm sorry to hear the issues your having...I watched my father go through the same thing your about to do...he had four previous knee surgeries on his left knee and ended up bone on bone here about 6 years ago...he had an awful ordeal with having the replacement...they say the younger you are the harder it is for patient to recover...this is why you will hear stories of elderly people who have had it done and it went great...some even have both done at the same time!....my father went through hell...he was on a cpm machine right out of surgery but he ended up with so much scar tissue buildup...he had to go into a second surgery where they knocked him out and literally bent his leg fully back, and forth busting up all the scar tissue...this is called a "manipulation"...I hope you don't have to have this done...make a long story short the guy is a maintenance man and has a semi physical job....he was in constant pain forever...went back to see the doc, they took new x-Rays and it showed he had a condition called "osteolysis" where the implant particles that started to wear causes pain as the body doesn't know how to fight off these unnatural substances...6 years later, last week he went back in for checkup and the fake meniscus plastic wedge they put in has already gotten worn out...he will have to be opened up to have thicker shim installed....please do your research...some go through it smooth and others not so smooth...the doc said he had never had anyone who had as much trouble he did but...I just like to tell his story cause it seems a lot of people just don't know exactly what they getting into before hand...best of luck

Man this scares me as I just had knee surgery about 2 weeks ago for a torn ACL, LCL, and torn medial and lateral meniscus's. Anyways it's been 2 weeks since surgery and my knee is still so sore that I can't hardly sleep. First question how long did it take until the pain went away? And my next question is - I can force my leg completely straight without too much discomfort but when I try to bend it past 90° it feels bound up and hurts to bad to go any further. Is this a common occurrence? Oh and my Dr said he was worried about my lateral meniscus and said if it doesn't heal right we would have to do a meniscus transplant, anyone know anything about them

Edited by dirtbikeking843

• 2 weeks later...

One of my co-workers tore their meniscus after a fall.  They've been in a full (thigh to ankle) leg brace (locked) for almost 3 weeks.  They're going for surgery consult tomorrow, but their doc already said they'd be in the brace for about 4 weeks afterwards too. Then they'll start PT.  Yikes..... Seems a tad bit extreme to me....