What do you guys think of this bike? 1992 YZ250 for $750

Your taste in YZ's is getting better. That one looks nice (not a roach at all) and the guy's story is plausible.

Here's a piston kit for it. Kinda spendy at $175 but out there no problem. http://www.motosport.com/1992-yamaha-yz250--wiseco-prolite-piston-kit-2stroke

Make sure he's got the title for it.

Thanks, although it makes sense since this one is just a tad pricier. So the top end rebuild kit is out there, but are other parts difficult to find?

Take a look on ebay motors. Without doing the research to find out what other years fit I punched in 1993 YZ250 and got 11,000 results. Mind you that a lot of these are B.S. like LED light bulbs and others that don't fit at all. Clicking on the 'Used' tab got 560-something results. Lots of good stuff and prices are super low.

I did a search on 'plastics' since that one is missing the left shroud and side cover. Those ARE listed but kind of expensive.

I'd get out there and look at that bike before it's gone.

Looks good.

Make sure that is has a title AND that there are no back fees due to the DMV.

You can have the VIN run by AAA if you are a member to check for back fees.

Offer $500 after you test ride it then see if he takes it.

What do you think the actual current value of the motorcycle is? Is it more than $750? maybe i'll offer $500, but I won't go higher than $600. Sound good?

I called the seller, and he said there's NO title. Dont' know if this is worth anything, but I asked him if he thought it was stolen, and he said no. 

What you guys think? This is in Southern California by the way, which makes the title information more relevant, I believe. He also said it would cost $100 more to get all the paperwork for the motorcycle into my name.

Edited by travisantonissen

I called the seller, and he said there's NO title. Dont' know if this is worth anything, but I asked him if he thought it was stolen, and he said no. 

What you guys think? This is in Southern California by the way, which makes the title information more relevant, I believe. He also said it would cost $100 more to get all the paperwork for the motorcycle into my name.

He screwed up. Or he's a crook.

If your seller is a car mechanic and took this bike on a $750 trade he's a retard. It's MAYBE worth that if it doesn't need extra money in repairs- which they usually do... AND has a title.

Most likely, he gave $100 or so worth of work for it in trade and he's a scumbag.

Too bad, looks like a decent bike. No title = no sale. Period. Let him find another sucker.

He screwed up. Or he's a crook.

If your seller is a car mechanic and took this bike on a $750 trade he's a retard. It's MAYBE worth that if it doesn't need extra money in repairs- which they usually do... AND has a title.

Most likely, he gave $100 or so worth of work for it in trade and he's a scumbag.

Too bad, looks like a decent bike. No title = no sale. Period. Let him find another sucker.

No title, no sale, only in California, right?

No title, no sale, only in California, right?

Where I am in Oregon it's OK. You can get the offroad sticker at any convenience store near the trails for $10.50 and you are legal. The bike is worth less, say 25% just because we'd still like to have a title.

10 miles north in Washington, you can't ride public land without the sticker which you need a title to get. So they are kinda worthless. We here in Oregon buy them for a good deal.

You have the Washington situation down there in Kaliforni I believe- need title to get off-road stickers. You can check into it pretty easy here on TT.