Carb vs. no carb

So it's nearly 2015.  All the major bike manufacturers have gone to the "no carb diet" with EFI on most of their popular bike models.  That said, what are the opinions out there for those who have switched to the "no carb" lifestyle? Are you liking EFI or do you wish your bike still had the carburetor?  The consensus I hear from talking to the "red neck racers" here in Southern Oregon is they like carbs and the common weekend warrior mechanic cant work on EFI, should problems arise.  Unfortunately we are in an economically depressed area, so that consensus might be a little biased since most of the guys I talk to cant afford a new EFI bike and have only ever ridden a bike with a carb. So, its time to throw your two cents out there...  What's your opinion on the motorcycle carb vs no carb question?

Well EFI is probably better overall and will continue to improve. The complexity of an electrical system takes some of the garage mechanic skills away from the bike. That's a negative just like with modern evolving cars, but at least they run worlds better.

A carb is kind of like an element to motocross I grew up with and liked when it was almost nothing but 2 strokes and no internet to shortcut your learning of how to best tune your setup. It was like you were not only competing against other riders in the amateur classes but also how well they figured out their machine. I always liked that about motocross in the 90s.

Edited by Metal and Dirt
  • Like 1

They work great till they don't.

Way too much too fail for the riding I do.

with a carb you can fix it with a few simple tools.

Dang my fuel pump went out and I am 15 miles from the truck, stuck at the bottom of this canyon that is only single track trail and I cant push because of this deep sugar sand.

What would it cost to get a chopper to come and pick up my bike?

No thanks I will stick with a carb, they have worked for over a hundred years.

Edited by MrCarts
  • Like 2

I specifically looked for an FI bike when I got back in the sport. I know how to troubleshoot these systems from working on cars and what I don't know I can find online. I have been running FI snowmobiles for ages, never had any issues with it. I however also work with technology every day so I'm not frightened by it...

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of people like EFI for the convenience of it.  No jetting ever again and just riding whatever elevation or environment you want without having to make jet changes as part of your pre-trip planning checklist.  On the other side, I have heard some guys voice the same concerns as MrCarts.  Being in the woods, somewhere far from home and the EFI stops working for whatever strange reason.  Definitely something to be concerned about.  That said, I don't think I have ever heard of this happening to anyone.  I am sure it has happened somewhere, but it's not something I have ever come across.  What about you?

I think while they are different it really doesn't matter much. If you dial in your carb it will work fine at many elevations. The bigger the bore of your bike the less you will notice elevation change power loss. I currently have two EFI bikes and while I love them I have nothing against a carb. What I did notice from riding my FI bike then going back to the carb is, timing is learned. On the carb bike I would automatically start rolling on the throttle earlier than on the fi bike. I did not notice this until I got used to the fi bike and switched back. I started grabbing a handful as I would on the FI bike and the hesitation of the carb became very apparent. That being said if you only ride a carb bike you will be used to that and compensate with out thinking about it. Bottom line is I like them both but I don't like switching back and forth between them.

• Like 1

The great thing about old bikes  is KISS  "Keep It Simple Stupid".

The only thing electronic on my IT465 is the CDI box.

If it were to fail, out on the trail no problem, I carry a spare in my fender pack. 

Gravity is one of those thing that just seams to work no matter what.

Fuel will drain out of the tank into the carb without any help as long as the petcock is turned into the on position.

The fewer parts on a bike the less there is to fail.

• Like 1