2002 wheels on 1997 cr125?

I want to convert my 1997 cr125 rear to an 18" from its current 19". I was originally planning on buying an 18" hoop and spokes but it would be a lot easier if I could just replace the entire wheel. Does anyone know if I can just buy a rear from a 2002+ and bolt it up? Are the axle size, disc bolt pattern, all that the same?

02 calls for a rear bearing

BEARING (6905RS)
91052-KZ4-J21

97 is a BEARING (6004)
91062-KS6-831

rear axle

AXLE, RR. WHEEL
42301-KZ3-B00

AXLE, RR. WHEEL
42301-KZ3-B00

rear axle is identical, so I think it should be a pretty easy swap.

rear brake disk is DISK, RR. BRAKE
43351-KZ3-B00

2002 is DISK, RR. BRAKE
43351-KZ3-B00

97 is DISK, RR. BRAKE
43351-KZ3-B00

hub is 97HUB SUB-ASSY., RR.
42635-MAC-680

02 is HUB SUB-ASSY., RR.
42635-MAC-680

looks like they only changed bearing manufacturers, so i would say yes it is a direct swap over.

Front wheel bolts right on. 95 up all interchange

The rear got a bigger axle in 00.

Your 97 was last year of a 220mm rotor for a 125. 98 up all had a 240, but in 02 it was mounted with 6mm bolts rather than the typical honda shouldered 8mm. You can easily convert yours to a 240mm rotor by using simply the caliper bracket from a 98-99 125, or 97-99 250, and then rotor of corresponding year.

If you used a 02 up wheel, you still need the caliper bracket, but also different wheel bearings to use for your smaller axle.

So, 02 rear wheel wont just bolt right on, but can be made to work.

just simply re lacing your wheel is also pretty easy to do.

I may go back to the lacing idea then. I thought it might be more economical to go with the 02+ wheels because a pair of Tusk wheels is only $550. If I just lace my hubs I'm looking at $100 for each hoop plus $100 for each set of spokes plus whatever the new bearings will cost so probably around 450. To get anodized hubs and not have to use any of my labor seemed worth another $100. If I have to search out a bunch of other parts, that's probably not the case anymore.

Edited by nucular

Front wheel bolts right on. 95 up all interchange

The rear got a bigger axle in 00.

Your 97 was last year of a 220mm rotor for a 125. 98 up all had a 240, but in 02 it was mounted with 6mm bolts rather than the typical honda shouldered 8mm. You can easily convert yours to a 240mm rotor by using simply the caliper bracket from a 98-99 125, or 97-99 250, and then rotor of corresponding year.

If you used a 02 up wheel, you still need the caliper bracket, but also different wheel bearings to use for your smaller axle.

So, 02 rear wheel wont just bolt right on, but can be made to work.

just simply re lacing your wheel is also pretty easy to do.

did you read my post?

the part numbers are identical for all but the bearings....

97 to 02 is identical parts, aside from the bearings.

only issue is having to run the 87 bearings and spacer's , which is not an issue at all, they slide right in.

you already have the current axle and spacers...simply swap them to the newer hub, everything is a direct swap.

Edited by Excitable

did you read my post?

the part numbers are identical for all but the bearings....

97 to 02 is identical parts, aside from the bearings.

only issue is having to run the 87 bearings and spacer's , which is not an issue at all, they slide right in.

you already have the current axle and spacers...simply swap them to the newer hub, everything is a direct swap.

I did but after reading byrons post about the brake issue I thought it might be to much trouble. You're right though, for the price of the wheels, the small amount of effort is probably worth it.

Excitable you may have looked on wrong yeAr. In 02 stuff changed. 00-01 would have had the same hub, but not 02

In any case an 02 up wheel can be made to work, but mounting it is only half of it.

If you had a 00-01 wheel then yes, change bearings to suit, bolt your rotor right on and go.

you are right....not sure why the part numbers did not change as i looked at 97 and 02...must have clicked 01 by mistake.

so look for a 00-01 wheel.