390RR

I have one at the shop, along with a 350 race edition and a 430 rr. Beta claims that the different displacements makes a difference in the way they feel. I would agree. Short test the 390 feels as light as the 350 and lighter than the 430. The 390 is extremely smooth power and pulls from super low rpm. The 350 revs quicker and the 430 is more abrupt feeling from lower in the rpm range. The 430 also feels slightly more top heavy than either the 390 or 350. 

• Like 1

I think Chilly is doing a longer term test and racing the 390 still. If I was single track mostly and wanted a four stroke the 390 would be a great choice. I am doing street and MX too so I went bigger. On the dirt I don't use 1/2 the power on my 480, but that torque is nice for riding lazy. I've never been one to rev, and the 350 needs some of that to hang, the 390 should add a touch of torque. I didn't have a single flameout or drop/crash at Rockne. If you still haven't picked one up maybe you can swing a leg over mine sometime. I don't know when I'm riding next, holidays and all the family stuff...

Edited by Johnny Depp

I think Chilly is doing a longer term test and racing the 390 still. If I was single track mostly and wanted a four stroke the 390 would be a great choice. I am doing street and MX too so I went bigger. On the dirt I don't use 1/2 the power on my 480, but that torque is nice for riding lazy. I've never been one to rev, and the 350 needs some of that to hang, the 390 should add a touch of torque. I didn't have a single flameout or drop/crash at Rockne. If you still haven't picked one up maybe you can swing a leg over mine sometime. I don't know when I'm riding next, holidays and all the family stuff...

Thanks, nice offer. It is busy this time of year. Fortunately I've graduated from the work force so just holler. I saw that starting wheelie at Rockne, looking good!

I have one at the shop, along with a 350 race edition and a 430 rr. Beta claims that the different displacements makes a difference in the way they feel. I would agree. Short test the 390 feels as light as the 350 and lighter than the 430. The 390 is extremely smooth power and pulls from super low rpm. The 350 revs quicker and the 430 is more abrupt feeling from lower in the rpm range. The 430 also feels slightly more top heavy than either the 390 or 350. 

If only you weren't so far away, especially this time of year. Thanks.

If it was available last year I believe I would have bought it instead of my 450. I rode 40 miles of slippery/wet singletrack couple of days ago and honestly I really don't need a 450 for the same amount of smiles. 

Granted the snappy/cam feel of the 450 is killer, but not so much for a lot of my riding. If I was to do it again a 390 with a Rekluse would be the ticket for my side of life.

I look forward in riding one...

I'll concur with Chilly's comments from riding the full line-up (and Kevin Novello at Trail Rider too) that the 390 is the sleeper of the bunch. The 390 feels a lot like the 350 to ride in terms of cornering and handling, but has enough added torque to make the bump worthwhile. They pull all the way from zero in a very linear, smooth fashion. You could twist the throttle hard without fearing for your life, but the bike was plenty fast (or as slow as you wanted it to be). Carburetion on the bike I rode was perfect. 

• Like 1

There is a reason the DRZ 400 was considered the best trail bike for such a long time. I always believed that if they had dropped that motor in the RM frame and got it down to a reasonable weight it would rule the of road world. Maybe BETA figured that out.

• Like 2

There is a reason the DRZ 400 was considered the best trail bike for such a long time. I always believed that if they had dropped that motor in the RM frame and got it down to a reasonable weight it would rule the of road world. Maybe BETA figured that out.

Agreed!

The drz is a sneaky fast bike: smooth power, traction and good suspension- too bad it's 50lbs overweight and has terrible ergos. Glad beta is still serious about that part of the market.