2000 drz400e no power

I have read and tried countless suggestions on this forum to no avail.

So i picked up this drz400e cleaned the carbs and took it for a ride. I rode for about 15 miles and then some weird electrical stuff started to happen. First I lost power to my horn then my tail light went out completely. the headlight worked up to the point I turned the bike off. I went in a store then came out to a no power no crank bike. I then tried to push start the bike, the bike would sputter but wouldn't start over. Probably because I didn't run it fast enough but whatever. I pushed the bike home. I came home and started to go through the bike I checked the battery and it did charge a little from the ride about .05 volts. I then checked for loose wires by wiggling them, still no power. Fuse is also OK. I then busted out the volt meter and checked for power from the battery. I have power up to the starter solenoid but not after(part # ms5e-174). I unplugged the starter solenoid from the harness to test if power is getting through it is not coming through on the two prong plug. I tried to jump the battery straight to the harness(went around the solenoid). When i hook up just the positive lead the wires spark, so there is a short. I then checked the clutch and it looks like it is crimped. 

2jeeal3.jpg

is this a clutch short?  Am I supposed to get battery voltage directly after the starter solenoid? can a clutch short destroy my starter solenoid? and lastly can a clutch short stop power from getting to the rest of my bike. I have no power to anything.

other things i have done

1. sprayed out all connectors with electrical contact cleaner

other information

bike has the baja design dual sport kit. my tail light would turn off every so often I think the contacts were dirty but I cannot test anymore it it that since I don't have power anywhere else. The battery is brand spanking new bought before my first ride. 

With a dual sport kit on the bike, it is very hard to guess where the problems are.  I have no diagram for a Baja kit. As long as you have a charged battery the motor should run and all the electrical function regardless of the stator.  The stator only comes into play if the battery will not stay charged.  The clutch interlock only interrupts power to the starter relay control circuit.  Most people bypass it.

A volt meter or test light will work just fine to troubleshoot for power.  It is OK to wiggle and tug on wires looking for opens and shorts.

Jiggle the starter button and the kill switch buttons in and out real good.  My starter button got gunked up and started doing some of the things you mention.  When you push the button half way in it kills power to a number of things, like the headlight, then when you push it all the way in it engages the starter.  Mine got to where it was killing power to the headlight, etc, when it wasn't pushed.

My buddy's DRZ had a similar problem with the kill switch button.  It got to where it wouldn't disengage fully, and so the starter would not kick in even though it had plenty of juice.  Check both of those because it's an easy fix.

• 1 month later...

just an update on this thread I went and dissembled my kill switch and start switch and cleaned them. I also cleaned almost every connector on the bike and re ran the wires from the cockpit to the rest of the bike. THEN the bike popped a fuse changed the fuse and bam the bike fired up. I have ridden about 130 miles and no problems so far.  I think the problem was multiple things and not just one thing.  I think between a kink in a wire and dirty plugs the fuse popped.

MORAL OF THE STORY

*****So advice for the people in the future clean your kill switch/starter buttons, re run lines to avoid kinks/shorts, and lastly check the fuse.******