Brass shavings

Hi everyone.

I have a 2007 crf250r that i am rebuilding because the bike has trouble running. serviced it and found brass shavings in the oil and oil filter. it kicks over fine so its not seized and still has alot of compression. Ive started stripping the motor down and im at the clutch atm. Ive taken the basket out and have noticed that the clutch sounds grindy when turned. Everything else seems smooth and the piston has no play in it. Could the brass be from something to do with the clutch? or is it definatly gona be the crank or crank bearings? i will no later as i pull it apart further but wondering what everyones else thinks it might be?

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I have a 2007 crf250r that i am rebuilding because the bike has trouble running. serviced it and found brass shavings in the oil and oil filter. it kicks over fine so its not seized and still has alot of compression. Ive started stripping the motor down and im at the clutch atm. Ive taken the basket out and have noticed that the clutch sounds grindy when turned. Everything else seems smooth and the piston has no play in it. Could the brass be from something to do with the clutch? or is it definatly gona be the crank or crank bearings? i will no later as i pull it apart further but wondering what everyones else thinks it might be?

Thanks

What do you mean by " the clutch feels grindy"  was that while it was all together or after you had it all apart and moving the individual parts ?