Off road bike trail for middle aged guy

I'm 26 5'11 220 pounds decent shape last dirt bike I rode was a little 80 when I was younger. I have a sportbike cbr 1000 so throttle control isn't a big deal to me .

I strictly plan to trail ride for fun maybe some jumps nothing crazy just little things to put a smile on my face .

Budget 3-3500 would like electric start kind of afraid of buying off craigslist . Want a bike that I can learn on but grow in to and just have fun . Looked at ktm 350 but I can't drop 7k on a bike that's just a weekend toy . Thanks guys

Also looked into 13 wr250r but seems heavy and no low end I would like to learn better wheelie control so that might not be good. And I can't find one bike on Craigslist that's a enduro much less one in my budget hell none of them even have a kickstand lol

I'm 37 and closer to middle age than you OP.  :goofy:  I to come from a sportbike background and am a larger individual. With that being said, I love my CRF 450X for the trails. It does everything I need it to do, has plenty of power to still get you into trouble and has the magic button to start. If you get a 05-07 model there are a couple of carb mods/improvements you will want to do if they are not already done but other than that, ride it hard and put it away wet.  :ride:

Edited by spaceboy

I'm 26 5'11 220 pounds decent shape last dirt bike I rode was a little 80 when I was younger. I have a sportbike cbr 1000 so throttle control isn't a big deal to me .

I strictly plan to trail ride for fun maybe some jumps nothing crazy just little things to put a smile on my face .

Budget 3-3500 would like electric start kind of afraid of buying off craigslist . Want a bike that I can learn on but grow in to and just have fun . Looked at ktm 350 but I can't drop 7k on a bike that's just a weekend toy . Thanks guys

Find a clean older ktm 450exc.

Street legal, 6 SPD transmission.

Lightweight and fun.

Haha I shouldn't be alive now haha 2 combat tours and I'm a cop now so let's just say my life experience is up there. lol

As far as maintance how bad are the 450 4 strokes

I'll soon be 57. 21 years Army. Panama, Grenada, Shield, Storm. I'm glad you're home. Thanks for your Service then and now. Be safe.

And thank you for yours 🙂 . I just need a toy and don't want to get anything il hate . So maybe the 250 is out of the question for me .

I just got my son a 02 kx250 for Christmas. It will be his first 2t although he has ridden a friends yz85. I've never been into dirt bikes, I ride a Goldwing (a lot LOL). As I have browsed this forum and YouTube for knowledge, I have started thinking I might find something for me this Spring so that he and I can ride together. We have done some trail riding together with me on my 4 wheeler (Brushy Mountain , NC, Black Mountain, KY, Hatfield McCoy) but I think it would be cool to ride dirt bikes together. He'll soon be 14 and has been riding for 8 years. If I do get something for myself, it's gonna be 4t. Probably 250 or 300. I have NO interest in MX racing but might get into hare scrambles if he wants to. Doing stuff with him and my 16 year old daughter keeps me young. LOL
  • Like 1

Looking into 300xc w and they run 6-7k average I guess. Do I finance some of it for peace of mind having my own new bike and something il have fun on

I would not finance a bike.

If you have a $3000.00 budget, find a clean used $3000.00 bike. It may take a bit of searching, but they are out there.

You will have just as much fun on a used bike as a new one. Probably more, just because it is paid for.

• Like 1